1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Descendents

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by fleabee, May 5, 2006.

1. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    Yeah i've heard of em. I like them a lot! thanks for the vid! :bassist:

2. Dave Siff

Dave Siff Supporting Member

That's a great song, with a typically awesome bass part from Karl. He had a big influence on me. Everything Sucks is a "desert island" CD, for sure.

3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Yeah, Karl pretty much rules it all...heehee ALL!!! He's a very nice guy too. Some of his bass lines I still can't figure out what he's doing! And I've been trying for about 15 years now!!! My band got to stay at Bill Stevensons (drummer for Descendents, ALL, Black Flag, Only Crime...) house for a couple of days while we were on tour out to Colorado. Super great guy (and family!) I think the Descendents are one of the most underrated bands of all time. They practically invented "pop-punk" back in the late 70's early 80's.

4. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Holy Crap! I just noticed on the "I'm The One" video Karl is playing a Stingray! He's ALWAYS been a Fender jazz man, like for about 20 years now! wow!

5. phxlbrmpf

phxlbrmpf

Dec 27, 2002
    Germany
    What do you think about the bass tone on the recording? I think it might very well be a Stingray.

6. Consider me a huge fan. My band is actually considering covering "I'm The One"

7. OiBass

OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus,OH
    Wasn't their original bassist,Tony Lombardo, Dave Lombardo
    from Slayers' brother?

8. bassplayin

bassplayin

Dec 5, 2005
    Oi, yeah Tony was the original bassist but Karls playing really helped solidify that band. I've been a fan since '86 and have seen The Descendents 4 times and ALL 6 or 7 times- Karl's truly a monster player and his agressive, melodic, and sometimes freaky bass lines were influential on my playing.

All? NO ALL!

9. FunkSlap89

FunkSlap89

Apr 26, 2005
    Albany, NY
    btw, there's a song on the new chili peppers album that has a line about the descendents:

from "Storm in a Teacup":

"Descendants had to record
    Sayin' somethin' 'bout Milo "

I think Milo is that character thats on the cover of all of the descendents albums, right?

10. I love the descendents but dont listen to them alot, not into that style a whole lot.

One of the best punk bands ever...who played bass on Milo Goes to College? Tony Lombardo IIRC - anyways all of them ever were good players to my ears

11. They're also mentioned in a Bad Religion song...can't think of the title, but its off of their Process Of Belief album

"Milo went to college, but you knew about that"

12. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Quoted for truth.

13. flatwounds

flatwounds

Apr 22, 2003
    Sydney, Oz
    "I'm gonna turn dining back into eating!
    I Like Food! Food Tastes Good!"

14. Masher88

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Milo is their singer. I believe he lives in Chicago still and has a Doctorate in Microbiology.
    I'm also not too sure about Tony Lombardo being Dave Lomardo's brother. That doesn't sound right to me....I may be wrong, though.

Clean sheets mean a lot...to a guy who sleeps on the floor