1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The Diablus?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Depth_Charge, Aug 14, 2007.

1. During my one and only bass lesson my teacher mentioned that playing notes in this sequence, for example:

G|--3-----
    D|-2------

Was known as the "diablus" (spelling), and told me that for a period of time it was banned in western music!!

So of course my interest has been piqued and I've been playing with it a little - playing it back and forth and generally figuring out that he's right...no matter where on the fretboard you play it, if done slowly and letting the 2nd note ring longer than the first, it sounds pretty dark.

I'm curious what other combinations of notes have a history behind them and whether any others have names such as that one?

Discuss!

2. rob2966

rob2966

Oct 19, 2006
    Vancouver, BC
    Yup, tri-tone, diminished-fifth, devil's chord, probably also called "Diabolus" (just a guess there).

Not sure how banned it was but definately frowned upon in classical music. But there just wouldn't be heavy metal without it (start with Black Sabbath and go forward).

Later
    Rob

3. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

In rigorous counterpoint, the tritone (augmented fourth or diminished fifth) is a melodic movement strictly prohibited because of its "evil" character ("Diabolus In Musica") and the major sixth (also as a melodic movement) is also prohibited because it was considered lustful.

4. ----------
    ----------
    --6-5-3---
    5-------5-

I just tabbed you out a sweet riff.

5. bro)))616

bro)))616

Jul 18, 2007
    fontana,CA
    learn "ELECTRIC FUNERAL" by sabbath..play it heavy and slow haha