Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the difernece in a Korean spector and a Czech spector

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steve-o, May 30, 2002.

1. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    well actually SSD basses.
    mine has Emg pups and preamp.
    neckthrough.
    the same as the Czech basses.
    so why are the Koreans cheaper?
    the craftmanship is the same.
    they are both imports for me.
    how much better can the czech be than a korean?

steve

2. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Not too sure. Up until recently I had a NS5CR and a REX2000/5. The main differences were the pickups - the Czech had active EMG DC40 Sopabar pickups with the EMG BTS pre-amp. The Korean was equipped with passive EMG Hz Soapbars with an active pre-amp (not sure if that one is an EMG preamp or not)

Neck wise they felt the same, sound wise the Czech was fuller and had noticeably higher out put. Also, the 5 string Czech has a dirrerent headstock to the Korean, the Korena ones have the same headstock as the 4 strings!!!

Hardware was slightly different, the Czech had gold Schaller hardware, with straplock buttons, and brass bridge and nut. The Korean had Schaller hardware but no stap buttons (schaller), I'm not sure the bridge was brass - it's painted black, and the nut is Graph Tech.

The only other thing I noticed was the finish had some 'dings' in it on the Korean bass - apparently due to overpolishing in the one place, the finsh of the Czech was as far as I can see perfect!

That's about the differences I saw!

3. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    the nut is brass on mine.
    the bridge isn't.
    i am replacing the turners.
    and the strapbuttons are oversized!
    my bass was used and there isn't anything in the finish! no where!!

steve

4. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Hey i can answer these questions for you! There is a huge diff between them! As far as the crafstmanship the same? Hehehehehehehe. No way! I work in a music store and we sell spector basses. When we get these basses in you should see the diff! To me it couldnt be anymore obvious which bass is the better bass. The europe bass comes in a well packed box and generally in tune! And with good setup! The cheapo lines come in a box were they slide around in and are horribly setup. Takes me half a hour to set these creatures up. The diff between the korean and the europe basses are the same as the diff between a cadilac and a lincoln. But if you want the mercades then get the usa model!

5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i don't think that setup matters.
    that is something that yourself can do.
    is there a diff in the wood?
    materials?
    i haven't seen a diff yet!

6. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ohh yeah! Everything is diff! I find that the finesh is clumpy on the cheapo specs and the fretts are horrible! But i do really think that you get what you pay for! Just better construction and care goes into the higher end models!

7. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Having 2 Korean Spectors I can say this. There is a HUGE difference between the older models I have, NS-94 & NS-95, when compared to the new NS2000 models. The feel of the new ones is very different as well as the quality. On a NS2000 the first thing I noticed was a uncomfortable neck heel while the older NS-94/95 had none. Even in things like the volume/tone knobs there is a dramatic difference between the two. Bottom line is i'd buy a used older NS-94/95 over any new NS2000 anyday, they just dont make them how they used to and that applies to any instrument.

8. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    so is the ns-94 better than the 2000?
    do you think that the older ns-94 is equal to the current czech?

steve

9. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Absolutely!

I have not had the pleasure of playing any of the current Czech models so I cannot say for sure. Back in Chicago the only store that carried Spectors was Sam Ash and all they had were the NS2000's as well as their famous wall of mexican Fender strats.:rolleyes:

What I do know is I would buy as many of the older NS-94's I could find. I currently am looking for a second one in black or the black stain as a backup for touring. I think that two NS-94's and one NS-95 would do the trick. :D

10. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    want to buy mine?
    it is an amber burst tho.

steve

11. Metaltronix

Metaltronix

May 29, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Sorry, although your bass looks great i'm just going to wait to find one to match what I already have. My NS-94 is a very cool black stain and my NS-95 is solid black so i'm just going to stick with my current color scheme. Do'nt get rid of yours either, it sounds liek you really love that bass. Now is it me or were the NS-94/95 headstocks cooler than any of the others on Spectors? Elegant in design and simplicity.

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    yes i do love it!
    but i the only way if i were to sell it if i were to get a USA spector. in natrual!!!
    i like the ssd's waaaaaaayyyyyy better than than the spector 2000

steve

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

I gotta disagree, I think that the current Czech five string headstock is the nicest headstock design I've ever seen!! Can't attach a photo, but if you check out their website you'll see what I mean. This is just my opinion of course!!!!:)

14. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    here is the spector i want.
    [​IMG]

does anyone want to trade my spector for this one?

steve

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've owned alot of neck thou Czech's. I've owned 4 USA Spector's. The Czech Specotr are right below in quality, craftsmanship, sound & playabi;ity to the USA Models. Now that the new Czech's have Aguilar OBP-1 preamp's & crown inlays, I wouldn't spend $3000+ on a USA Spector.

16. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    they are the hz's.
    i have played an USA.
    and it was awsome.
    so since the czech was in between
    i ddin't think there was a big diff.