1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The difference between Fender and Squier basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Pablo Fanque, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    I understand that the differences between say a Fender Squier Jazz and a Fender Jazz would be "quality" and price. Otherwise I don't have a good understanding of what the "quality" differences would be.

I've read a lot of stuff on the internet that Squier makes its instruments to "Fender's specifications" and that they are "well made" and sound nice. So why would I pay 2 or 3 times as much for a Fender?

Anyone give this newbie a rundown on these issues?

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Welcome to TalkBass. I'm not usually a "do a search" kinda guy, but in this case, if you do a search, you'll find this question has been asked so many times, and answered thousands of times more, that everything you're looking for is already here. Just go to the top of the page, and do a search. Again, welcome to the insanity.

3. Pablo Fanque

Pablo Fanque

Apr 1, 2009
    You mean you're not going to do my work for me :D

OK, I'll do some digging. You're right. I'm brand new here.

4. Go to a music store and play them, you'll see the difference,

Basicly, everything is different, the only thing that is the same is the overall look of the bass,

The woods are of lesser quality,
    The electronics of lesser quality,
    The hardware is of lesser quality,
    The finish is of lesser quality,
    The build quality is of lesser quality ;),

Bassicly everthing is of lesser quality,

I'm not bashing Squier, in their range they are very good, but really not on the same level as Mia Fenders,

The same could be said about Mia Fenders and Sadowsky for instance,

There are multiple levels of quality in the bass world.

Hope this helps

:D

5. guizzy

guizzy

Nov 17, 2008
    Montreal
    Basically, they're not made with the same parts. They're made to sound, work and look like other Fender, but they're not made the same way. Same about Made In Mexico vs Made In America Fenders.

Note however, that while Squier was meant to be the low-end line for Fender, all Squiers aren't necessarily of lower quality than all instruments with the Fender name on them. There are a couple of Squier product lines that are very well liked around here, and that some would rate as better than MIM Fenders; notably the Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified series.