1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The difference between Jazz basses...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkfinger, May 8, 2010.

1. Hey all, I had a unique (to me) opportunity last night at the show I was playing.
    I'm in the house band but two of the other acts had bass players. I was playing my new (again, to me) 5 string MIA Fender J bass, guy 1 was playing a 4 string MIA Fender J, and guy 2 was playing a J bass of which make I cannot remember.
    I supplied my amp (Fender Bassman 250 1X15 combo amp) as backline.
    The three of us had three unbelievably different tones.

1. Me: neck pup cranked, bridge pup at around 25-50% amp setting flat.
    My tone was similar to a p-bass, which is what I have been playing most up until I got my J
    musical style: Country, indie pop type stuff
    2. Fender MIA J guy: told me he just used the bridge pup, and his tone was very similar to an upright oddly.
    musical style: straight up dirty blues (killer band by the name of The Talisman Blues band)
    3. J bass of unknown make guy: I have no idea what his settings were, he took off before I could ask, but his tone was tight, focused, punchy and sat beautifully with the other instruments.
    musical style: kinda folky, but hard to define. Three female vocalists who alternate between guitars, a banjo, and ukelele respectively.(also an awesome band by the name of The Sweet Alibi)

No one touched the knobs on my amp, and I had set everything flat/neutral.

I guess my question is this: Does anyone have the same setup as me, and how do you dial in that tight focused sound?
    I realize that pups, technique, etc all come into play here, but I'm hoping for an easy answer:D
    I have played with my pup volume knobs and tone knob, but maybe because I don't have a lot of experience with J basses/a tin ear, I'm having a heck of a time emulating that sound.

Thanks for reading guys.

2. when I think punchy on a Jazz
    I think all knobs either 100% or a reverse of your setup:
    tone - full
    bridge - full
    neck - 3/4

and playing over your bridge pickup
    where the string tension is a lot higher

BTW I use close to the same setting as you 80% of the time
    tone full
    bridge 25%
    neck 100%

3. DeluxeRed

DeluxeRed

Jun 2, 2009
    Yeah, I never roll off or unbalance my passive Jazzes. The Actives do it even better, with the mids up a bit. And mine go from plunk to BOOM depending on where you hit the strings, so yeah, that makes a lot of difference too--if you want the punch, play near the bridge.

4. cool! thanks guys.
    I'll try that tonight!

5. christle

christle

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    For me I have both pups at 100% and the tone dialed back just a small bit, maybe at 90%. I also run through a SansAmp with the bass at 11 o'clock and treble pretty much at 12 o'clock and a bit of drive added for grit. If I am using my G&L JB2 then I have the tone control set to 60%.

6. I hear you I dime all the knobs for slap
    but for fingerstyle I do like to cut back on the bridge for a
    Jazz-Precision hybrid sound

It gets its share of good and bad press
    but the Jazz Bass to me is a very versatile bass