Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The difference in Spirocore Solo Strings

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Illfavor, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    :bawl:
    I'll be the first to admit that I know nothing about Solo Strings, simply because I've never had to play on them. I
    went to go buy some Spirocores, and was completely overwhelmed by Lemur Music's selection. Is there a big difference in the Spirocore, Dominant, SuperFlex and Precision Solo Strings? I just want the loudest ones....

2. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    Hi.
    First let me suggest you to fill out your profile!
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/profile.php?do=editprofile
    This will help us to help you!
    Do you know what solo strings are about?
    They're intended to be tuned a whole step above: F# B E A.
    So they're thinner than regular orchestra-tuning strings.
    They can be tuned at orchestra-tuning, as an extra-light gauge string, but you'll loose volume then.
    If you want the loudest ones, why don't you use regular, orchestra-tuning ones?

3. Illfavor

Illfavor

Mar 9, 2005
    DFW
    I was misleading when I said I didn't know anything about Solo Strings. I moreso meant I didn't know which ones to BUY. I've played solo music with Orchestral strings tuned up and it wasn't enjoyable. While the instrument was loud, the strings were really tense and my bridge started to warp under the pressure. I've never played with solo strings and I just want some that aren't too tense, loud, and play well in the upper register, which I imagine is asking for perfection.

I'll be sure to get on the profile.

4. AMJBASS

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    I have played Spirocore Solos. On my 5/8ths Hungarian I have D'Addario Helicore Solos. They are far nicer than the Spirocores on this bass. Really warm sounding with a wonderful arco response. They don't have that scratchy sound that Spirocores have and they have a thicker sound in thumb position.

5. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

Dec 11, 1999
    Québec, Canada
    If you're looking for arco solo strings, you can also look at Jargar Dolces, Pirastro Flexocors and Original FlatChromesteels.
    Pirastro permanents are also available in solo-tuning, but they're brighter, as are Pirastro FlatChromesteels. (not the Original ones)
    Obligatos are available in solo-tuning too.
    The Jargars would be the warmest, IMHO.
    Loudest could be the Permanents.
    I think Dragonetti11 had a used set of Permanents solo for sale in the [DB] For sale forum.
    Maybe Ken Smith will come with good advices too!