1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The difference is not in the pu location (fender jazz bass tone)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by black.rose1402, Dec 13, 2017.

1. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    ok today , due to horrible traffic jam, i missed my train to a gig . So to wait until my next train , I went to a bass music store where a friend of mine works.
    So I tried a fender CS jazz 62 journeyman relic , a 66 masterbuilt and a 64 CS with maple neck.

The masterbuilt has the bigger tone with more low mids than the 62 .
    But then I saw this 64 with a maple neck with binding and block inlays like a 70s jazz( wonderful birds eyes maple neck ) , the neck was exactly the same as the one I used to have on the Marcus Miller masterbuilt size wise!!!

The body was alder , it was order as a 64 , but the neck was different , so 60’s pu location ...
    I was so curious to try it ... and to my surprise the bass had the same kind of tone as the Marcus Miller masterbuilt or 70’s jazz , with an alder body! I was so amazed , great for ngerstyle tone and amazing slap tone a la Marcus ! Except it was passive. The I’m gonna try it again with a Sadowsky preamp to hear what it could bring !

But to me that made me realize that the tone of an email nutriment came mom stay from its neck !

What do u guys think ?

2. bassclef112

bassclef112 Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2003
    New York City, NY
    I am sure once that's decrypted a comprehensive answer can be provided.

3. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Is that a secret Illuminati code?

Spidey2112 likes this.
  4. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    rosetta-stone.

Nope... nothing. :laugh:

I think the gist of your post is that, basically, you tried a few Jazz basses with the pickups in the '60s locations and, to your ears at least, there was no difference in tone between these and your Marcus Miller Jazz bass which has pickups in the '70s locations (implied, but not stated in your post). Or at least the '60s basses sounded like Marcus Miller. Or something.

In short: people claim that there is a tonal difference depending on where the bridge pickup is located on a Jazz bass, but you've deftly disproved this hypothesis by jamming for a few minutes on some basses in a shop.

5. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Which bass was best for metal? What if you put a carrot in the bridge position?

mikewalker and black.rose1402 like this.
  6. neckdive

neckdive

Oct 11, 2013
    My only problem with this comment is that I can only 'like' it once.

7. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    Damn that phone !!!
    What I was actually saying was that I tried 3 60´s jazz basses and from the FCS , one of them ( the 64), had a mapple neck just like a 70´s jazz , the three had alder body . The pu being the same , I expected to have the same kind of tone , but the 64 had that Marcus tone !

The neck was the same ( except the Birdseye mapple) as the Marcus Miller masterbuilt I used to own!

But that made me realize that the neck is what give a bass it’s tone !

8. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    It isn't the neck, it's the block inlay. Everybody knows that.

9. mrb327

mrb327

Mar 6, 2013
    Colorado
    Nobody Knows
    The kool aid is extra stout this morning. Just a warning

10. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

Respectfully, I must disagree, mainly because of this lil' project o' mine...

g5j1fSj.

When I had this body converted to a P/J configuration, I first used a Fender Blacktop Jazz pickguard for the positioning template, which is a bit closer to the neck. While it was close to that classic Precision sound, it wasn't quite "there". The best way to describe it is what it lacked in "thickness" it instead gained a bit more "growl".

A year or so later, I read a TB post by @Reggie Hamilton where he was talking about the lengths he and his team went to to find the best positioning for his signature Jazz's P-pup. Intrigued by this information, I decided to use a pickguard from his sig-Jazz to do some more routing in the direction of the bridge...and I'm glad I did! :smug: Despite everything else...neck, pickups, strings, hardware, etc...remaining unchanged, my bass could finally nail that classic Precision sound I was after.

Ever since then, when I hear people talk about converting a Jazz bass into a P/J, I usually recommend the Reggie-spot for such projects. :thumbsup:

mikewalker likes this.
  11. mouthmw

mouthmw

Jul 19, 2009
    Croatia
    Must be all that mapple.

Spidey2112 likes this.
  12. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    You might be on to something. Maybe if we add more necks we get more tone!

13. Ampslut

Ampslut

May 15, 2017
    I don't think I've ever played 2 jazz basses of the same year, neck, and pup placement that sounded the same.

dralionux and Tim1 like this.
  14. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Not sure if this is a second, or 7th dimension language... were you near fumes, when you posted?

15. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I respectfully disagree with this. Tone, in the collective musicians' mindset, is a complex system of aural variables. With that in mind, a bass's tone is defined by the combined attributes of its various parts, the outboard electronics connected to it (i.e. Amp, pedals), the acoustics of the room it's being played in, and nuances created by the player's technique. To say that a bass, or any instrument, gets its tone from only one factor, is just off.

However, tonal considerations for email nutriments may be different from this :smug:

TrustRod and Spidey2112 like this.
  16. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    I think it would be cool to have the pickup(s) on a dual rail system, much like the the slide trays for CDs and DVDs... position controlled by a servo motor/gears, within a channel under the strings... minimal cost, and I bet the components wouldn't add too much to the overall weight...

17. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    My opinion on this (horribly biased by being an Acoustical Physicist and a Bassist) is:

1) Of course pickup location affects the sound of an instrument. That's basic Physics.
    2) Of course changing the neck on an instrument makes it sound different. The strings are hooked up to it, they vibrate, it vibrates, changing their vibration, and vibrating the body a bit as well. (when the body vibrates, the distance from the pickup to strings changes, which makes sound just like when the strings vibrate).

Now, as to what you believe is really important, that's not quite as simple a matter, which I'm not going to try and predict. Carry on.

Malak the Mad likes this.
  18. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    There have been a few pickups like this over the years, most notably (to me at least) was the Gibson Grabber with sliding pickup. They've clearly never caught on, either from the idea not being as cool as people hoped, or just poor implementation of what could be a solid idea.

DeliriumTremens and Spidey2112 like this.
  19. black.rose1402

black.rose1402

Jan 10, 2007
    No it’s my phone damn it !!!

Malak the Mad likes this.
  20. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    Maybe more useful as a prototype... I guess I don't have to visit the Patent Office after work, now... :laugh:.