1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The difficulties of putting a band together...a rant

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by tycobb73, May 6, 2010.

1. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Now I realize if I'm not playin Lynard Skynard and Eric Clapton it may be hard to find players. But here's my timeline.

Thanksgiving last year - meet everyone at a resteraunt - set up practice. This is a 5 peice with female lead.

Day of 1st practice - lead guitar's mom died

week later - lead guitar found a working band

start audition guitar players

week later (when there was suupposed to be a lead guit auditon) - drummer gets busy at work

auditons for drummer and guitar begin

take a few weeks off for christmas and new years

find drummer and lead guitar plaeyer

February - drummer decides now to tell me that he will miss half the weekends in the late winter / early spring. This is prime gigging seasin in MI. On to drummer #3.

drummer #3 can only handle 5 songs a week, but he learns them well so I put up with it for month until...

after being very upfront with everyone about what music we are going to play, drummer now decides he doesn't like the setlist and wants major changes, to whch we refuse and he leaves

3 weeks ago - find drummer #4. he learns all 30 or so songs in 1 week

yesterday - lead guitar player who is unemployed right now takes a job at a resort in the Carribean and will be gone all the month of June. Onto finding another guitarist.

2. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    I seem to go through stuff like this in between bands, where I’ll join a group or try to form one of my own and have what seems like an endless list of musicians come and go. It comes with the territory, I think. Finding the right mix of people can take some time.

3. Funky 1

Funky 1

Jun 29, 2006
    Chicagoland
    Focus on people you know.

Network! Network! Network!

4. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    To me there`s a reason why there`s "standards" like Mustang Sally, Back In Black, Last Dance with Mary Jane, etc... It`s so all players can come together and instantly know at least 10-15 songs with little worry. From there you can add what you see fit as the direction you want the band to go in and you can typically gig within 2-3 weeks depending on everyone`s skills.

5. I totally feel you. I truly believe in the small band. A trio or four piece tops. It's too hard to get 5 people on the same page musiclly, or with schedules. I have to sing more, but that's cool, and there will just be some songs we will not be able to cover with just one guitar, bass, and drums. And that's cool too. I'd rather be playing what we can. Plus we only have to divide the pay up 4 ways.

6. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

Do you have a website, logo, press kit, set lists., lyric sheets, listening disks etc.

The more you have together the better quality folks you'll attract.

Tim

7. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    Ok guys, I've decided to post here again. I can't get lead guitarists to want to audition. I'm thinking maybe its becasue I'm asking for lead guitarists but a lot of the songs aren't shredding guitar songs. Should I readvertise looking for just a guitarists and not scare off the people who aren't shredders. I really don't want to make major changes to the setlist. I also looked at going as a 3 piece instrumentally and think we could stil do half the songs. Best way to attract people is get gigs, right? If you weren't going to go away from this style, what would you do? I feel like at open mics all I"m goint toget is blues players, but maybe I'm wrong. Here's the list.

Carrie Underwood Cowboy Casanova
    Pink You + Ur Hand
    Weezer Buddy Holly
    Paramore CrushCrushCrush
    Pat Benetar Hit Me With Your Best Shot
    Radio Head Creep
    No Doubt Just A Girl
    Katie Perry Hot N Cold
    Sugarland Stay
    Eve 6 Inside Out
    Miranda Lambert Gunpowder & Lead
    B-52s Love Shack
    Guns N Roses Sweet Child O Mine
    Incubus Anti Gravity
    Garbage Only Happy When It Rains
    Good Charlotte Boys and Girls
    Cake I Will Survive
    Seether / Amy Lee Broken
    Aerosmith Walk This Way
    Jet Cold Hard Bitch
    Bon Jovi You Give Love A Bad Name
    Jewel You Were Meant For Me
    Eagles Life In The Fast Lane
    OK Go Here It Goes
    3Oh!3 don’t trust me
    Rancours Steady As She Goes
    Franz Ferdinand Take Me Out
    Marcy's Playground Sex & Candy
    Violent Femmes Blister In The Sun
    Def Leppard Photograph
    ACDC Shook Me All Night Long
    Red Hot Chili Peppers Under The Bridge
    All American Rejects Gives You Hell
    LeAnne Rimes Nothing Better To Do
    Police Every Breath You Take
    Till Tuesday Voices Carry
    Crazy Bitch Buck Cherry
    Kings Of Leon Sex On Fire
    David Bowie China Girl
    Outkast Hey Ya
    Lady Gaga Bad Romance
    Romantics What I Like About You
    Vapors Turning Japanese
    Van Halen You Really Got Me
    Shania Twain That Don't Impress Me
    Sublime Santaria
    Plain White Ts Hey there Delilah
    Nine Inch Nails Closer
    Sheryl Crow My Favorite Mistake

8. jive1

jive1 Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I feel ya man. Been there done that, and still doing it. In less than 2 months, we replaced 2 drummers and are on our 3rd. But this guy so far seems like a great fit, so much so it's almost like the movie, "Single White Female". You just have to keep on keeping on.

One of the reasons why I like trios is that it's easier to get people on the same page and coordinate schedules. Add in the eccentricities of artists, and you compound the issue.

Use the folks you have in the band until you get to where you want to be, no matter how long they stay in. Take your promo shots, videos, demos, etc. and be glad that those folks were available for that. Keep on forging until you have some gigs, and once you have some bookings you will see how much more good players come out of the woodwork, find additional time they didn't have before, and are willing to accomodate.

9. standupright

standupright

Jul 7, 2006
    Phoenix, AZ
    Brownchicken Browncow
    sometimes it just seems to be that way

in the blues group i play in we have gone through 2 guitarists and 3 drummers.

in the variety group i play in we have gone through 2 guitarists now looking for a third, and are now on our 3rd drummer.

10. bluewine

bluewine Banned

Sep 4, 2008
    WI
    I would never take on such a task, it's too much.

11. dogofgod

dogofgod

Dec 24, 2009
    Maybe it would just be easier for you to find some other musicians to play with, it seems like you have your act together, and I am sure some bands in your area are looking for someone like you.

12. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    what? I'm guessing you mean we want to audition them on all the songs. We don't. I send them the list saying this is what we will be playing out. Lots I never hear back from. If I do hear back from them I give them these 5 to auditon

Sweet Child (for the chops)
    Gunpowder.... (to see how they improvise the solo at the end)
    Boys and Girls (to hear our male singer and know he sounds good)
    Just A Girl - (has a solo in it for them to learn)
    CrushCrushCrush (modern song that most guitarists won't know)

these 5 together are enough to tell if someone is doing their homeowrk. If that is too much to ask oh well. I tell them the only solo that needs to be pretty much note for note is Sweet...

13. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I am starting to look at other projects in addition to doing this one. But I just started looking a few days ago.

14. Tricia

Tricia

May 13, 2010
    NH-USA
    I can relate. It's hard to find female rock musicians who want to do all original stuff too.

so I sometimes feel held back, when my girls have other commitments which come before the band. I wait for them to have time do open mics.

I don't feel like starting a new band.

15. BassMaster4s

BassMaster4s

Jul 28, 2008
    Wind Gap, PA
    It's threads like these that make me count my blessings for the bands I'm currently in.

16. bnelly428

bnelly428

May 17, 2010
    RI

Maybe it's not that there are no guitar shredding songs but the song selection itself makes it look like there are conflicting visions of the band

IE. Shania Twain to NIN to Pat Benatar to Seether (great song btw) Radiohead to GNR and Good Charlotte.

And it would depend on where you are regionally, but around here a lot of those songs would clear a dance floor.

17. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The vision is anything after 1980 that was a hit on the radio. A couple from the 70s got in but I'm trying to keep them out.

Most band around here have their bread and butter from the 70s and 80s with a little from the 90s and 00s sprinkled in. I'm trying to be an alternative to that.

18. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI

HEY! :ninja:

19. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    You're actually more modern than most. Have you seen what happened to my last band after I left? They seem to think music stopped being made after they got out of high school. I saw it coming which is why I was on my way out.

20. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Actually, no. What do they go by now?