Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the Digi Tech BP200 processors

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fireworks_god, Nov 1, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireworks_god

fireworks_god

Oct 30, 2002
    Don't buy one!
    Mine has totally fried itself after three months of not so loyal service. It wiped out all my user presets and froze when I tried to go to them, the factory presets no longer work, save for one, and the tuner decides when it wants to work. I used to carry a little pillow underneath it and carried it in its original box to keep care of it and still failed on me! And my friend has the same pedal except for guitar, only had it one month, and the tuner is even more messed up than mine! I feel that Digi Tech isn't such a quality product anymore. Anyone else have thoughts?

2. Sorry about that, this just goes to proove again why cheap multi effects are no good. My best advice to anyone who wants to add color to their rig is find effects you like and use them when you see fit. I never really got the point behind a multieffect, I always saw them as inconsistant.

3. RevGroove

RevGroove Commercial User

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    Sorry 'bout your luck...my BP200 is still working great after 5 months of live use...I reccommend it to anyone, but I hear some people have problems with it...

4. LA

LA

Oct 17, 2001
    Michigan
    My only beef with the BP200 is the tuner function - the LED display flies all over the place during basic tuning.

Hopefullly they'll do a rewrite - it is version 1.0, after all. :)

5. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Manager, Account Services: Long & McQuade Ltd. (Burlington); MTD Kingston Basses International Emerging Artist; Bartolini Electronics Emerging Artist
    This is true, it is version 1.0...but I found that holding a steady note while tuning rather than beating the strings gave me a more accurate reading...but you're right, the tuner could stand further improvements.

6. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    I tend to agree. I use a GT-6B, but I normally use only 2 or 3 presets. It is handy having all the effects I do use in an easy to carry package though.

7. ive had mine for over a year and never had a problem. Every now and then a product slips through testing that may not be as good as it should be. Thats the price of mass production. You were just unlucky and got the one out of a million that was messed up.

8. deepbob

deepbob

Oct 3, 2001
    left field
    mines done some funky things, but i've never lsot the factory presets, which would indeed be a real bi*tch.

i've recently bin lucky enough to upgrade to a v-bass, and tend to use my bp200 for voice only. as far as variable effects go, the v-bass blows those rigs out of the water, but thye also show us where this is all headed.

my answer to the question of the value of multiple/variable effects (in an open discussion) is their ability to be expressive when used sparingly (i don't pretend to do this myself =P), and appropriately is irreplaceable.

the problem is they too often aren't, or they don't really do what thye're supposed to because they aren't taking advantage of modern tech as much as they should/can from a muscial standpoint (BP200 is a great example).

this keeps the cost of them down at the moment, but there will soon be a time where something equivalent to the v-bass will be quite affordable as today's components get cheaper to make and less expensive because newer more powerful tech components come to market.

simply put, it gives you amazing flexibility, as it can be worked in ways that effectively bring out the qualities of other types of instruments, but within the comfort of your bass.

as the v-bass is letting me discover, it can even be the same kind of expressiveness that can be achieved with accoustic bass, just presented/enhanced in a digital metaphor (exponentially more diverse and comprehensive).

non-variable basses, ie, traditional axe/amp controls and what one can pull off with the strings and pickups themselves - are all amazing and irreplaceable aspects that musicans bring to instruments. no question.

and too often people (like myself =P) use these computer enchancements in ways the 'discerning ear' - privy to that reality - can't enjoy. bet then, someone like herbie hancock comes along and makes everyone go, "oh..." (maybe a bad example)

however, for me to be able to go from this to this on the fly in a creative session is just awesome.

but i understand that's a creative/compositional advantage, not a performance advantage necessarily, and in some performance cases actually a hinderance as it adds a ton of additional single points of failure.

but as we get closer to completely digital environments, processors are going to turn basses/keyboards into the instrument that replaces most everything else in that setting =) or at very least what will enable *any* musician to turn their axe into an instrument that recreate any voice they care to.

the point is the need is there, even if your own situation/desires doesn't seem to need it/have any intrinsic benefit to that kind of freedom.

man this is good coffee.:eek:

9. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    How is that V-Bass? My BOSS rep tried to talk me into one until I saw the price when I was shopping aound for my 6B. I wasn't too keen on the special pickup needed as I would have to buy one for my other bass and the cable isn't as long / flexible as I would like. I know it totally kills my 6B for synth tracking though.

10. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    hey i think i know you man.. aren't you on the gt-6 user group? you have that tool patch dont you? *grin*..welcome to talkbass

11. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    hahah ya, the one and only man. You a 6B user as well? If so I got a 6B group going that has no activity really. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gt-6b/

Hope ya found the tool patch to be a good starting point. I have modified it alot since. I should probably update it.

12. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've had my replacement BP200 since April, and haven't had any problems at all. (My first one died in an hour!)

It makes a decent pedal tuner and volume pedal, and I use the effects lightly. No, it's not as good as separate pedals, but it's good enough for me at the moment.

13. tinfoil

tinfoil

Oct 20, 2002
    Canada
    Any idea how it tunes down below D?

14. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    By "D", I assume you mean low D (below open E on a four). No idea - I only play fours!

15. RevGroove

Jul 21, 2002
    Burlington ON Canada
    Check the patch Library, there's one that bends the E to a D with the pedal in the toe down position.

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    My bands ex- bassist had one, and it needed repairs almost immediately.

It was poorly put together.

The footswitches didnt actually reach the buttons on the circuit board correctly, the output jacks had bad contacts, and the boards were loose.

I odnt know if theyre all like this, but it doenst take alot to fix these problems if you are brave enough to take a look at the pedal yourself, but to get those problems repaired by a tech isnt worth it.

Peace
    Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.