The Dilemma (bum bum bummm)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sock Justice, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Hey guys,

This is my first post, and I'm a little bit jittery. I have a very serious (to me) problem that I'd like some input on.

Depending on how long you've been on this here blue rock, you've probably gone through something like this as well.

I have 2300 clams burning a whole in my pocket, and being the indecisive 17 year old, I'm screwed worse than an uneducated raccoon in a nuclear power plant. I can either choose to blow it on a stingray, and a new amp setup, and stay a car-less wonder, trying to look cool around town with my Mommio in her mini-van, or purchase a ride of my own. Honestly, it's driving me insane. Bonkers even.

I have a pretty lame bass setup right now...a Jackson CP-5, which, has done me awesome for getting experience...but the action is terrible, it feels terrible, and sounds even worse, especially when all I have is an old guitar amp my brother donated to my musical cause. I plan on making bass my life, being a music teacher, so it's not like I’m going to get rid of the bass soon, I’ll be keeping it for good.

As always though, I can't make up my mind. The only thing that is stopping me from ordering the stingray, is that it's hard to pick up chicks in a green mini-van, with your mom piloting, and listening to country music (she won't let me near the wheel OR the radio...curses).

Anyway, if anyone has their experiences, or thoughts to throw in, I’d be INCREDIBLY thankful.

Thanks a lot guys

2. i know what you going through, at 17 all i wanted to do was drive, but bass was, and is a big part of what i do.

if women are that important to you then sure, buy a car, fuel it, insure it, tax it, maintain it etc.

what you may be suffering from is pseudo chick pains.. you think that you'll get loads of girls the day you jump in a car,, but will it make you happy??

most likely it'll be just like before but you have to take your bass along for company, and you'll hate her for it :)

if all girls want are guys with cars then their shallow, what happens when they want guys with loads of cash and a beared?? you be skint, tired of you bass( which will lead to a short attention span,, which chickybabes don't like :confused:
    and you can't buy a beared :p

i'm bias because i'm a player, and because of its nature all talkbass residents are!! but what you have to do is weigh up your priorities,, you say that bass is and will be your life,,, you want to be a teacher,, well then i think you've worked it out,, have some fun,, live your dream,, and worry about cars when your old and boring.

i still don't drive,, i don't need to,, women love me:) and with my bro being the guitarist in my band,, i get driven everywhere,,

3. marijn van gils

marijn van gils

Jan 23, 2002
    OK, this is also my first post here!

my advice:

1: at seventeen, the girls you'l get with that car will last some days, maybe some weeks. (if they stay longer it wasn't the car that did it) That bass and amp will stay for the rest of your life!

2: Chicks will cost you plenty of money in the future, or prevent you from spending it. Buy the gear now you still can!

3: Basses and amps have resale value, cars have a very bad one and girls none at all.

I think deep down you know very well the right thing to do...
  4. Bass... cars...

Do you really need to think about that ? :D
    What use is a car when you can have a bass ? doh !!! :D
  5. Yeah. Music is waaay more important than women, especially right now, but a car also means a job, and going to shows, and being mobile enough to start bands/practice. It sucks to have to clear a jam session with your mom, and thne on the way back, you have to stop off at k-mart. Not fun. That bass is sooo incredibly tempting. Sheesh on a leash. Thanks for the advice, guys.
  6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Put at least as much into your amplification as you do into your bass. Less of a status symbol but more impact on your sound.

Good luck and welcome!!!
  7. Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Look at it this way - with a bass and an amp, you can make money to buy a car. Another used. If you shop around smartly, you could get the bass that you want, a nice amp, and still have some cash left.
  8. SRSiegel

SRSiegel Guest

Sep 17, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    hey man, welcome to talkbass first of all... let me tell you yeah, i had the same issue for the longest time... driving my moms green mercury villager with a PINK pistripe down the side. it was affectionatly deemed the fruitmobile.

BUT, that mini van was pretty damn cool when i rolled up to gigs and unloaded my 210+18 600w stack, and two basses from the back. my advice to you is to go buy the bass and the amp, you will not regret it, as a setup like that will last you your entire lifetime.

then, be REALLY REALLY NICE to your mom. i mean kiss some major ***, and try to convince her to let you drive the minivan around for a bit. then, get a job, and use that to get yourself a truck. not a car, get a truck. because cars cant carry your bass gear around, and trucks look cooler than minivans. you could probably afford a junky little 2WD truck after only about 6 months working.

another reason to buy the bass gear (besides the fact that when you get a girlfriend, your money will magically dissapear in two weeks) is that there is a good chance (if you intend to) when you go to college that you cant have a car your first year, or even your second.

thats my case now. im 18, almost 19, bought the bass gear when i could (didnt have a girlfriend) and then eventually bought a truck, but i cant have it here with me at college. so its really not necessary to buy a car until you can take it with you to school in my opinion.

i hope i convinced you, and good luck!