The Dillinger Escape Plan - Irony is a Dead Scene

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Jul 15, 2002.

1. I just downloaded this EP (don't worry, I'm buying just won't come out for a month) featuring Mike Patton and I think it's freaking amazing. I always admired DEP's instrumental talents but now that they got rid of that awful vocalist they used to have they sound so much cooler...maybe that's because Patton is a genius. Great stuff!
  2. grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    dimitri's vocals were amazing. mike patton is a genius, but he is only doing vocals on this ep. there new vocalist is what is terrible. i have seen them about 8 times, twice with the new guy, and it just isnt the same. dillingers music is definitley moving in a more prog-core direction with more experimentation, yet rocking harder than ever, but their new vocalist is gonna hold them back.
  3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I can't wait to hear it......grindcore I hope I disagree with you when I do, but I'm afraid, very afraid that you'll be right.....
  4. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    HAIL MATHCORE! :D If this one tops 'Calculating Infinity' my sole purpose on earth shall be fulfilled. To hear the greatest Dillinger album ... in the world.

Well, that and domination of all things fluffy and herbivorous.
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've heard some of it, and its outstanding. The stuff I've heard wasn't the hardest stuff of their's I've heard, but I do think it's the best. Besides, how can you go wrong with a cover of Aphex Twin's "Come to Daddy"? I'm definitely going to get a copy.
  6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Cool, I can't wait!!
  7. grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    i haven't heard the mike patton recordings, although i love everything he does. but their new permenant vocalist, i guy named greg, doesn't have the same live esponse and intensity as dimitri (their old vocalist on all their other recordings). greg can be heard on the upcoming black flag tribute on initial records, dillinger covers damaged I & II. should be hot.
  8. Jesus, I HATE that guy...he's what kept DEP from being really good, in my opinion. Thank god they got rid of him and recruited Mike for the ep.
  9. grindmore

Jun 21, 2002
    well, whether or not you liked dimitri, don't get attached to patton, he is only on this ep. like i said, their new permenant vocalist is terrible. just curious: why do you hate dimitri so much? have you ever seen them live?
  10. I hate that typical "I'm going to scream as loud as a I can" hardcore voice. I can only take the lack of anything remotely close to a melody for so long. And yes, I know Mike's only singing on the ep, and no, I haven't seen them live.
  11. Stachio

Stachio Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2002
    I'll definitely be lookign forward to the new E.P. and although I am the biggest Patton fan (just paid $45 for his new Hemophiliac CD with John Zorn and Ikue Mori...autographed !!!!) and I love DEP (even with their new singer), I sort of want the 2 to stay seperate. I haven't been able to rationalize that. :confused:

I'll still buy it though since I tend to herd all that is Mike Patton/Trevor Dunn material.

Dimitri ruled !