Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Dirk Lance Sound!!

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rotorheadcase, Aug 9, 2004.

1. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Hi All

I've just won my dream Warwick Stage 2 five stringer on Ebay..... :hyper: well my wife actually bid for it whilst I was at work!

I'm looking for a similar sound to what Dirk Lance achieved on the Morning View album and I don't know what strings he uses. I'm currently using Roto 66's on my Jazz/Moses and an Eden 4 x 10 amp/cab setup. I'd like to order the new strings to arrive here about the time the bass does.

Any thoughts on the old round /flat debate (I've never used flats) for this particular application (rock with a funk attitude)would be appreciated.

2. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    Im not sure what strings Dirk Lance uses but you should try some DR stainless steel lo riders... id imagine theyd get you a similar sound. Either way, theyre extremely high quality bass strings and usually last very long because they wind them so tight.

3. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
  4. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    According to his B.P. mag interview, he strings everything with regular Ernie Ball Slinkies. Now all you need is 3 Eden WT-1000 power amps, 3 Eden (whatever they're called) preamps, 6 Eden 4x10XLT cabs, a few pedals, Demeter Optical compressor, another Stage II 5, a Stage II 5 fretless, and a late 60's Jazz, and hey, you're all set! :)

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Alex has gone through his fair share of strings. He started out with a DR deal back in the day about when Enjoy was about to come out. He was having problems with the strings being dead out of the box, so he 86ed them and went to D'addario. He played with those through the time of the SCIENCE and then went to Slinky's right around the Make Yourself album. I haven't talked with him in a while since he started his new stickman venture, but I don't think he's playing Warwicks as much anymore. He's defintley playing some jazz basses of some sort now. I'm not too sure of the current amplification section, but Alex has bounced around the 6-4x10 Eden cabs and 4-4x10 Eden cabs with 2 1-18 cabs. Oddly enough, Alex's whole rig, bass included is almost an exact copy of P-Nuts minus the Eden/SWR difference.

6. rockstarbassist

rockstarbassist Banned

Apr 30, 2002
    The Woodlands, TX
    Endorsing Artist: HCAF
    Man, I've never understood how some guys can switch between so different types of basses like that. I've played Warwick/Spector type necks and bodies my whole life, and when I got a Lakland, I just couldn't stand it. Same goes for pretty much every Fenfer I've ever picked up... Crazy.

7. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Thanks for the info everyone

Perhaps it was a little ambitious in my opening statement to get Alex's sound without the 1/2 ton truck full of "spensive goodies". :D

I'll give the EB Slinkies a go and see how they compare to the Rotos. They don't sem to make a 5-set in the stainless only in the nickel Slinky??

Any idea what Alex is up to at the moment? I keep this small hope that he will get back with Incubus somewhere down the track.

8. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Might do a search, but I think I remember reading he has some game company or something hes working on right now. Perhaps the "Stickman" project Halftooth mentioned.

9. You know Dirk, thats awesome. How did you meet him?

10. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    My best friends in college were close high school friends with Alex and the rest of the Incubus guys. When they found out that I played bass they just hooked the two of us together and we've kept in touch since then. That was about 10 years ago when we first met, way before Incubus even signed a major label deal.

11. Halftooth

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Alex makes music for video games, and his company is called "Stickman." The stuff that he's been writing for these games is really very good.

As far as getting back with Incubus, lets just say it won't happen. It was very much a mutual split. Alex went from the spotlight of the band to almost an afterthought. He liked the original Incubus stuff and Brandon didn't. It was time to just move on.

12. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    What about the other guys?

13. rotorheadcase

rotorheadcase

Apr 20, 2004
    Thats a real shame. :rollno:

As far as I'm concerned Alex's groove was the major reason their stuff sounded so good. No disrespect to the rest of the band, particularly Mike who writes some great off the wall riffs, but the bassline was the backbone of almost every major hit of theirs.

I checked out the stickman project and it looks as if he's got a pretty talented team of guys working with him so all power to Alex for having the courage to strike out in a new direction.