Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The disappointment of being out bid on ebay

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 11, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am sure this has happend to many but just when you think you have won and the clock is up you get out bid.I guess sometimes it is not ment to be:( .

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea it sucks. I got outbid on a BC Rich Platinum Warlock bass when i bid 200, lookin to get a killer deal, but i was willing to go higher, if i got outbid, but i got outbid with 5 seconds left, so i didnt have time to bid higher. O well.

3. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Then bid the max you're willing to spend by proxy. It's easy.

At the worst I've been mildly disappointed when someone snipes an auction. If it's something I really want I bid what I'll spend and if it's more than that I really didn't want it anyway. Simple.

4. kubacki

kubacki Guest

May 24, 2003
    Brunswick, Me
    auction snipers suck.:mad:

5. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Not if you bid what you are willing to spend.

6. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    If you can't beat em, join em. Sniping is a great way to win stuff easily, and it's perfectly legal.

7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California

No, we're smart.

Besides, you'll survive. C'mon.

8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Pardon me for my ignorance, but what is an "auction sniper?"

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    watch the last 5 minutes of an auction... you may see one in action.:)

10. http://www.auctionsniper.com/?how=google AuctionSniper Wins

Auction Sniper is an eBay sniper that automates the process of placing your bid in the closing seconds of any eBay auction, dramatically increasing your chance of winning. You tell them what you want to win, and they snipe eBay for you. Best of all, Auction Sniper is free to try. After you win your first auction with their help, you’ll never bid the same way again.

[​IMG]
    Treena

11. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    <----mad l337 sniperz skillz yo

i have alwayas wanted to say that

12. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    It doesn't have to be automated, you can still do it the old-fashioned way:D

13. so what happens if two people using that sniper thingy both want the same thing:confused:

14. Then somebody ends up paying too much.

I also don't see the point. If I'm willing to spend $400 on auction X, that's what I bid. If I win, cool, if not, I move on.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Im an auction sniper,i bid with like, 30 seconds left, and i stil got outbid,. :(

16. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Yeah, when there's a lot of snipers on a bid, it seems to be a matter of luck. What I've been doing, on stuff I gotta have, I'll bid my max. I don't get the best deals, but I get my stuff.;)

17. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You bid with 30 seconds left? I leave it for last 3-4 seconds...only lost one bid so far, and got some killer deals. But I also got some killer deals by not bidding at all, on items that sellers couldn't sell because reserve was too high.

18. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Major Metal...if another bass like the one that you lost comes up again, you probably out to adopt the male side of the saying..."A woman will pay $1 on a $2 item she doesn't want, but a man will pay $2 for a $1 item that he really wants."

If you really want it, think about all of the time that you've spent searching, assign a $ value to it and add that to your bid the next time.

For me the hardest thing is assigning my absolute maximum bid. I'm frugal by nature so my initial max is quite a bit less than what I'm probably willing to come up with in a pinch...but I always keep an eye on resale value too...because I'm also fickle and don't want to lose my shirt when I get the next bit of G.A.S.:D

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I bought my jazz bass with 3 seconds left. But i dont like to wait til the last second bc i get scared that it mgiht not load in time or whatever.

20. I need to drop in here more often. This makes sense now, MAJOR METAL this auction is the auction you lost that violin Lectra bass in!

You'll find another one just keep searching!

[​IMG]
    Treena