1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Djirnt bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 4Mal, May 2, 2010.

1. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    [​IMG]
    The 'Djirnt' bass.
    Mike Dirnt body, Warmoth J neck ... bloodwood fretboard on 1/4 sawn maple, Hipshot UltraLites - the holes for the original plate style tuners I dowelled & glued, threaded vintage style barrels. Pete Biltoft @ Vintage Vibe made me a pickup, Alnico III with a slight overwind. Nice bottom, laid back hi's, nice and warm but not at the expense of articulation. This is the second of those he's done for me. New TI Jazz Flats.
    Came out really well. Best playing Franken I've turned out yet. Most challenging as well. The neck pocket was a bit of a kludge where a previous owner had attempted to round it to meet a rounded heel neck as opposed to the square Tele style neck. The pocket was elongated about 3/16ths. You can see the gap in the photo below. The 21st fret overhang covers that nicely. The other challenge was the pocket was too shallow for the neck if I wanted the strings the same distance from the body as on a 'regular' P. So I got out 'Happy the Plunge Router' and went very, very slowly... I hate free hand routing. All in all I got a nice stout neck joint after the work though.
    [​IMG]

2. Looks awesome. Would look even better with a Tort pickguard to match that neck. :D

3. looks super killer. +1 on tort guard.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I like it. 90 percent of the people on tb will tell you to get a tort pickguard. I love the look or a tort guard on rosewood necks. So go for it with the pickguard

5. That's because tort looks so good with so many things. :)

6. I disagree. Tort looks good on almost nothing.

Go with a black or silver pickguard.

7. I think plain 3 ply white works great on blue and black basses personally
    I usually hate plain ol white but on a black P bass it has the classic almost
    James Dean kind of look.
    I like it as is:
    classy understated but full of personality

8. I disagree 1/2 of a percent. Black is boring but silver has possibilities. :D

9. Maybe red, too.

10. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I'm sticking with the single ply white. Penguin love and all that you know ...

11. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2009
    So Cal
    I like the stock parchment pickguard on my black Dirnt... but Jeannie's has a $60 brown tortoise pickguard that I'm gassin' for... but $60 buys a lot of gas... for the car:meh:

Time to look at the Krylon "Fusion" colors again... $5 for a new look:bassist:p

12. cdef

cdef

Jul 18, 2003
    That's copacetic, as we used to say. But I'd still still put plain barrel knobs on there, black or chrome. IMHO any knobs with markers on them look a little weird on a P body. Just aesthetic prejudice, really.

13. I like it as is , black n' white classic colors, simplistic and yet awesome at the same time.

14. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I might do the Barrel knobs in Black - think I have a set in the parts box...

15. or a red perloid . . . that might be cool w/ the blood wood finderboard!

16. nato101010

nato101010

Dec 12, 2009
    Ontario
    I think your thinking. Very very much.

Tort is ugly IMO.

17. Did a quicky Photoshop. Hope you don't mind. I wanted to see what it would look like with the tort guard.

djirnt5TORT.

18. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Tell me about the fingerboard.

19. koobie

koobie

Jul 11, 2007
    Portland OR
    Hey Mal, cool project you got going there. Was the original neck already missing? Does the Dirnt come with a P 'C' neck? I figured it'd have something narrower/skinnier, more like a J. And how are you liking the Warmoth neck? What kind of profile does it have? Any neck dive?

20. Nice!!

I'm a little curious too . . . looks stunning! How does it feel? What are the tone characteristics?