1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The DOD Meatbox and Ampeg

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jd_watt, Mar 22, 2013.

1. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Hi all,

I'm new to the forums, but I've already learned a lot just by reading through a few threads. Good stuff!

I was wondering if anyone has any experience w/the Meatbox and any mid-priced amps. I'm currently running a Meatbox, through a sans amp, into a Roland KC550. It has no problem reproducing the sub-harmonic frequencies of the effect, but I was wondering if something like an Ampeg Portaflex (2x10) would struggle to amplify the super low stuff. If you do run a Meatbox into a more "traditional" bass amp, could you share your experience. Thanks for having a look!

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    The lower the frequency, the more power and spkrs are needed to reproduce them. So, sub harmonic octave efects and small amps/cabs are not the best pairing.

3. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    I run a pedalboard which includes a meatbox through one of to rigs:

Ampeg Micro-VR

and

Hartke VX410
    SWR WorkingPro 700 head

The Hartke/SWR rig handles the oomph from the meatbox much better. I don't blame the ampeg, its only a 210, but the meatbox can still be heard through it, just more midrange-y. The Hartke cab handles that low end much better, but I believe its still quite doable in the 210 format. I also use a VT Bass as a preamp, which give a bit more meat to the meatbox, if thats possible.

4. jd_watt

jd_watt

Mar 22, 2013
    Thanks, guys. I made a pretty significant investment, and have a few applications where the effect is essential. I really don't want to loose that ultra low "felt more than heard" quality of the box, but it's not practical for me to buy a stack to reproduce it either. I'll check out the Hartke that was mentioned. Any other tips are definitely welcome. Thanks!

5. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    the more air your amp can push, the more the meatbox will be apparent. users like juan alderete say the meatbox shines when heard through a good PA with nice subs.

6. I was using a meatbox with an Orange Terror 500 and Ampeg 4x10. To be honest, it did not sound good unless we played a venue with a decent PA. In fact, when I turned the amp up, the speaker in the ampeg cab would light up. Obviously not good. Subs take up a lot of headroom. Your gonna wanna use a rig that could handle the MB.

7. Rawrrbass

Rawrrbass

Mar 19, 2011
    Denver, CO
    +1

My 810 cab handles the Meatbox better than my 410. I've seen people have good results with a 2x15 as well.

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The Portaflex cabs may be relatively small, but they go quite a bit lower than most sealed cabs and many ported cabs as well. I don't see a problem using a Meatbox. Two of them world work better with a Meatbox, but a single PF cab would push the lows pretty well for a smaller rig.

9. bludog

bludog

Apr 3, 2012
    Brooklyn 11217
    The 410 HLF does a good job of handling the subs. It's advertised to get extra low for low B strings. I use it biamped from an SVT4Pro and it sounds great. I'd love to add another cab to see the difference but that's a bit impractical for city life. Has anyone tried a (well-tuned) 18" extension cab with any # of 10's?

10. Hey bud what model of Ampeg where you using?

11. At the time of this post I was using an Ampeg SVT 410HlF with horn. Orange terror 500 head. I upgrade to the 6x10 SVT half and had the sme results. When I hit it with too much fuzz,subs or both the coils would light up. I've been through quite a few great rigs since then. And to be honest my Gk 1001 Rb and 4x12 neo is the one that has stayed through all of them. I also use a Fender Super Bassman 300 pro through a greenboy dally 2x15 w Eminence. But I don't hit the 2x15 with the meatbox often. It gets a bit shaky. The GK doesn't even break a sweat. Weird, because folks always seem to say neo speakers don't pack the same power as ceramic. But in my experience, the neo 4x12 handles the meatbox really well. Also, my Orange AD 200 and 2x410s hung pretty well too.

12. I can understand the Meatbox doing that but fuzz also?