Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Dominants Are Off!

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Rob Hunter, Feb 18, 2006.

1. After only seven weeks, I've given up on Dominants; they just don’t work for me or my bass.

I didn't like the high tension, the unevenness of volume (due to a milder Flexocor D string replacing the broken Dominant string) and the bow response. In addition, an aggressive Bb wolf tone was an ongoing concern.

I've replaced them with Helicores (first time testing the arco version) and I'm much happier. Although they're certainly quieter - and it's too soon to comment on the tone - the tension is much more friendlier. And they've tamed the wolf into a puppy! I now want to continue practising, which is a darned good thing.

Sure, there are more expensive strings out there, but I think the Helicores will do me fine for a while - certainly more than seven weeks! Anybody want to buy some used Dom E, A and G strings?

2. Dr Rod

Dr Rod

Aug 19, 2005
    I understand your reaction, there is no magical string, if it didn't work, they need to be off.

having said that, I still love my Doms.

3. Thanks you bassers - now I'm convinced that I need to try Dominants -. Al

4. At least you know where you can get an E, A and G for cheap! ;)

5. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    I could let my lightly used D go for cheap too if you're needy - I replaced mine (and an older damaged G) with solo gauge dominants, which suit me very well.

6. larry

larry Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2004
    Florida
    That whole breaking strings thing gives me the willies.

7. The only string I've ever broken was that Dominant D. It broke at the post, despite having the nut slot thoroughly "graphited" with a pencil. At least I knew from the good folk at TB that the strings have a reputation for breaking.