Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Doors- 21st Century

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Jiles, Aug 17, 2003.

1. Jiles

Jiles Banned

Nov 28, 2001
    Anyone know when the new album with the surviving Doors and Ian Astbury is coming out? I am looking foward to it. I love Ian's vocals, and I believe he will vocally be a great fit with the music.

And those who think the songs themselves will suffer without Morrison...remember...

Robby Krieger is the man who penned "Light My Fire", "Love Her Madly", and quite a few other popular Doors songs.

This album will suprise people. I think it will have a veryyyy 60s feel to it, rather than a more modern "Cultish" feel.

2. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Operative word there is "Popular".
    (Don't get me wrong; I love their hits & that includes "Touch Me" with Plas Johnson's ending sax solo).
    Anyway-
    A big, big(huge?) part of The Doors' show was about improv-ing off of Morrison's 'poems'.
    And I would hope the new guy doesn't dupe the Oedipus thing in "The End".
    ;)

I just finished off Densmore's book; bought a couple Doors' DVDs as a result.

FWIW-
    The 'new' Doors are slated to play here soon.
    I'll look for the reviews.

3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Jim, was Densmore's book before or after they decided to tour without him.......I know he's pissed....just wondering how pissed;)

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    I'm assuming Densmore's book(Riders On The Storm) was before this latest tour...I just bought/read the book this Summer; I recall almost buying it over a year or so ago.

Anyway-
    Densmore was a big Elvin Jones' fan.
    Densmore also seemed to have a 'love-hate' relationship with Morrison.
    Don't know why Densmore isn't on this tour...he was involved with that VH-1 Story Tellers
    show a couple years back...right?

The Doors are playing here this Friday; right now, I'm content with theis DVDs.
    The Soundstage Performance DVD is pretty enjoyable.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Jerry-
    I'm assuming Densmore's book(Riders On The Storm) was before this latest tour...I just bought/read the book this Summer; I recall almost buying it over a year or so ago.

Anyway-
    Densmore was a big Elvin Jones' fan.
    Densmore also seemed to have a 'love-hate' relationship with Morrison.
    Don't know why Densmore isn't on this tour...he was involved with that VH-1 Story Tellers show a couple years back...right?

The Doors are playing here this Friday; right now, I'm content with their DVDs.
    The Soundstage Performance DVD is pretty enjoyable.

6. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I can see the love/hate thing! If I was in a band where the singer* was showing up that drunk & getting you banned from a lot of markets...I'd be a little pissed too....especialy if you don't have songwriting royalties coming in.

*I know, I know, but it was Jim Morrison:D

7. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

There was a recent thread in another forum asking who was the greatest rock singer of all time. I would certainly put Morrison at the very top or darned close to it.

8. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Yeah, but his voice and performance really began to suffer because of all of the abuse. I have a bootleg type of album of Jimi Hendrix where Jim Morrison sat in. He just basically grunts incoherent garble throughout the tune. It's really sad to hear such a talented person destroy themselves like that.

9. jerry

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    I've heard that bootleg, maybe the worst bootleg ever!......and the lyrics he sings are not even close to poetry.....if you heard them, you know what I mean;)