1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Doors didn't have "a" bass player

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Spent, Apr 13, 2015.

1. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
  2. the general

the general

Jul 8, 2008
    Cool read. Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Spent likes this.
  3. Yes, but off-key vocal bellowing from a visually-winsome addict was edgy enough to make up for it.

And thus began the race to the bottom.

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  4. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

That certainly ought to get some bites.

5. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Lonnie Mack "slummed" on bass for a couple of Doors tracks, the article says.

Slummed!

I tells ya, we get no respect. Hm.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  6. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Doug Lubahn, who played bass on the second and third albums, is a member of this site and has posted and answered questions here before.
    "You're Lost, Little Girl" still gives me chills from the opening bass notes...

GregBass1979 and Spent like this.
  7. Muddslide

Muddslide

Feb 23, 2007
    Mobile, Alabama
    Damn that's cool as hell. He's an incredible, incredibly accomplished player.

Strange Days is far and away my fave Doors album.

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  8. Alba McBass

Alba McBass

Jan 5, 2015

9. Alba McBass

Alba McBass

Jan 5, 2015
    I live in Colorado and growing up I heard that the Bass player for the Doors was a guy with the last name of Lubahn and that he was from Golden Colorado ( you know, where COORS beer is made ! ) Strangely enough, when I was in Jr. High School we had a Librarian named Harriet Lubahn and I always wondered if her son might be 'that' Bass player because the school was not that far away from Golden.

10. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    Trolling a doors thread, must be a slow night. Morrison is a great blues vocalist because it's not f'ing classical music dude where you want precision, it's about gut bucket and he had it.

Anyways, love the doors bassists, lubahn, jerry scheff, etc. John densmore the drummers autobiography is a great read and he talks about the bassist a decent amount, more so than one would expect which is nice.

Everyone loves to rip on the doors for some reason. Like they are classical rock trash or something, I don't get it. Morrison's lyrics are some of the deepest darkest and most poetic stuff out there. Jerry Garcia (grateful dead) once said "poopie you think we have dark music? Go listen to the doors". People often forget that the majority of their work was mid 60's, pre flower child and such, they were revolutionary for their time.

Son of Wobble and JimK like this.
  11. I'm glad you like the the authenticity of Jim Morrison. Yes, I do prefer singers who are sober enough to care about singing somewhere close to on-pitch however. Just a nit-picky quirk of mine, and I didn't mean to annoy you, I promise. :)

12. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Annoyance abounds...snide, off topic, unnecessary comments have a tendency to annoy even the most tolerant of folks..
    But you knew that now didn't you? If not we'll you can't play naive again. ;) now go listen to a few hours of White Stripes and the Cure since you love atonal singers.. of course no one else could possibly consider a band is possibly larger than the sum of its parts... ; (
    ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;p

Son of Wobble and Fat Steve like this.
  13. "The Doors didn't have 'a' bass player". I disagree. Bass comes in a variety of forms including, but not limited to, upright, bass guitar, and keyboard bass and they always had Ray Manzarek on the keyboard bass although he did not play it all the time. They also had various people on bass guitar.

14. Fat Steve

Fat Steve The poodle bites, the poodle chews it.

It's funny you mention edgy, because that post just reeks of contrived edge. Careful you don't cut yourself there, sport.

GregC likes this.
  15. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

i also find this Excerpt from Humbled's page funny
    "
    Favorite Genres:
    Cantonese Opera and Obscure National Anthems that Nobody can Sing."

16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It is surprising how many time I post this video... it never gets old.

AaronVonRock, OldDog52 and Spent like this.
  17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Thank you...reminds me of the time I read a critic blasting every Blues/Blues-Rock guitarist being played for him...guys like Beck, Clapton, Bloomsfield, et al were not bending notes to pitch. So this particular critic dissed them.

markjazzbassist likes this.
  18. Spent

Spent

May 15, 2011
    Upstate NY
    That's the point, it's why the "a" is in quotes. The implication is that they had a variety.

19. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    Cool article. I'm a big Doors fan, but I hadn't listened to them in a long time until a few months ago. I forgot how good some of their deep cuts are.

On a side note, I don't think rock bands necessarily need sober singers.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    Bob_Ross and JimK like this.
  20. Yes, I understand that. I quote the wrong thing. The first sentence of the article is, "The Doors did not have a bass player" and its fifth sentence is "The Doors had no bass." I disagree with those statements. Ray was the bass player and he did it well despite playing a keyboard bass.

/\/\3phist0, Son of Wobble and Spent like this.