Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"The Double Bass" - a play in NYC

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bob Gollihur, Jan 24, 2001.

1. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just a heads up:

MINT THEATER COMPANY
    CONTINUES ITS 2000-2001 SEASON WITH
    THE DOUBLE BASS
    BY PATRICK SÜSKIND, AUTHOR OF THE NOVEL PERFUME

PERFORMANCES BEGIN FEBRUARY 15th

Mint Theater Company (Jonathan Bank, Artistic Director), in association with the Working Theater, will present The Double Bass by Patrick Süskind, a funny, provocative and poignant peek inside the life and work of a professional musician on the back bench of the back row of the orchestra. The play details the story of his unrequited love, unappreciated talent, and on-going wrestling match with largest of the stringed instruments. “Sometimes I feel like smashing it. Or sawing it into pieces. Or taking an ax to it.”
    February 15th and continuing through March 11th only.

"The play is widely performed in Europe, but has had only limited exposure in the United States. That’s unfortunate for theatergoers in this country…because The Double Bass is a well constructed drama that is filled with laugh out loud humor tempered with provocative personal analysis." - National Public Radio.

http://www.minttheater.org/current.html

2. I saw a production of the play in Toronto a few years back, and I have read the play in book form. It's quite entertaining. :)