Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Double Bass by Patrick Suskind

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Bassism, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Hey,
    I was browsing All Hail's Links page, and I came upon Patrick Suskind's play "The Double Bass". Needless to say I was intrigued, and must find a copy of the book.
    I couldn't find a copy for sale anywhere on the internet though.
    Does anybody have or know of a copy?
    Has anybody actually seen the play?

2. bassmith

bassmith

Feb 26, 2002
    New York, NY
    Le Contrebasse, a play by Patrick Suskind, is available in French in paperback (I have not seen it in an English translation). You can order it through fnac.com, the website of the French bookseller.

3. Hmm,
    I think that the play was originally written in German, then translated from there. But I haven't seen any versions of the book for sale.
    I suppose french is better than nothing.....
    Thank you!

4. BassGuyNL

BassGuyNL

Jul 20, 2000
    The Netherlands
    I've seen this play announced in The Netherlands several times. Never got the chance to go see it, but I did some websurfing anyway.

Patrick Suskind was born in Germany but spent some time in Aix-en-Provence in France to learn french. "The Double Bass" was his first play and apparently the most often performed play in 1984 in Germany. Some European folks may remember the German TV series "Kir Royale", about a papparazzi journalist, which was quite funny. Turns out our friend Suskind wrote this as well!

Anyway, next time "The Double Bass" is in the theatre I'll go and see it.

5. hirort

hirort

May 17, 2003
    Yokohama, Japan
    LouisF, a member of this forum, played it in Japan last year.
    You may ask him about the English version or the script.

6. Andy Allen

Andy Allen "Working Bassist"

Aug 31, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Louis has been performing this around the world for many years. He lives here in LA and I bought my DB from him. We had the chance to hang and chat for a while when I went to try it - very nice guy - I'm sure he'd be happy to help if you PM'd him.

7. This monologue is great. It is about the not so sane relation between a CLASSICAL bass player and his bass. It is really funny, talking about the problems regarding carrying the instrument, the bass taking all the place in his appartment, the problems with the neighbors...

There is a lot of interesting history stuff for bass players, but it ia aimed for public interest.

Don't expect any jazz stuff in this book, the antagonist says clearly that he hates jazz. I read it in French, translated from the original version in German. An English version probably exists.

8. BUMP!

Suskind's play is being performed in Hong Kong, right now.

Mea Culpa :woot:;)

I'm sure LouisF does a better job than I, after-all I'm merely an ensemble player.

9. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It is a fantastic play about the loneliness of a musician and his love for a flute player.
    A must read (very short) and see.