Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the double thumb thing?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by rusmannx, Dec 25, 2001.

1. rusmannx

rusmannx

Jul 16, 2001
    someone said wooten uses it. what is it?

2. well the only way i can describe it is that it is like making your thumb bounce twice and then pop. listen to rhcp get up and jump. this is a very good example. dont get too attatched to it though because now it is very hard for me to just go slap pop slap pop because my thumb wants to slap twice.

3. Well, I don't believe Flea does any double thumping. On that track I think you might be mistaking the sycopated guitar line as part of the bass track. Anyway, double thumping is using both sides of your thumb. Rather than bouncing off the string, slap across it, then on the upstroke use the nail side of your thumb to play another note.

Hope this helps,
    Chris

4. sorry bout that. i was just talking about slapping really fast twice and then popping. i did learn that from a flea instructional video while he was playing that song. now i know what your talking about. at guitar center one of the employees showed me this and i am yet to have it down consistently.

5. It's basically using your thumb like a pick, and leaving your other 4 fingers available to do additional melodic or rhythmic notation. Like a pick, you strike the string with your thumb both going down and up - I would recommend learning it "your style" as it opened up a whole new world for me.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I'd never actually heard of the up-and-downstroke method... I do two quick slaps by moving only my thumb and not my whole hand. Is this the same thing?
    Another idea is to strike the string percussively with middle and ring fingers held together. When you alternate this with your thumb, you can get a good double-thump rockabilly kind of sound if you have the right tone.
    If you really want to go nuts, try alternating slapping with thumb and middle/ring fingers very quickly by rotating your hand. Use your index finger as the axis of rotation. (I hope that made sense)

7. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    We need a "Double Thumbing" forum from the looks of things. I think we have 4 threads active on the same subject. The search option would really save some time and bandwidth.