The Downfall of America: The customer is always right?!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 22, 2003.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This isn't going to be all that political.

I've thought about it long and hard being part of a major corperation, Wal*Mart, a small part but a part none the less. The customer is always right is destroying America. Back in the day, if a customer was wrong you could say "You sir are wrong" and all would be fine, you might lose a customer but they hopefully learn they are wrong. In my job at Wal*Mart, which you may have read about in my vent thread about it, I push carts and do other odd jobs. Customers leave carts everywhere! The reasoning for our designated cart areas is to protect your cars that you love so dearly, a tiny scratch would just destroy it's value, blah blah :rolleyes: blah. People still don't put carts in the areas or inside and then bitch when a cart hits their car.

How could this be prevented? Scold customers who put carts where they don't belong. Say, "HEY, that doesn't belong there." But this isn't just for my personal benifit. One reason America is becoming so fat and lazy is so many things are being handed to them, and no matter what they do, they are never wrong. If you don't get it your way, cry like a baby you'll get it. Leave a mess, someone else will clean it up, I'm sure they have nothing better to do.

I'm not just saying this as a disgruntled employee, the concept of anyone always being right is disgusting. I feel if this business method had never come about, it wouldn't be such a big deal to tell John Q Customer he's wrong, he might even not realize he/she is wrong.

Any thoughts on the matter?
  2. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Try shaving your goatee.

brad cook
  3. Strangely enough, "keeping customers happy" now exceeds "maximizing shareholder value" as the primary goal of a business, in this year's annual survey of second-year MBA students.
  4. *Drum roll* :D
  5. I've learned to bottle up my anger. Its really easy, and you will never hear from it again...ever.
  6. Is the car park on an incline? Then you can start *accidentaly* rolling the carts into the cars. Then maybe the customers will make the connection between loose carts and scratched cars.

PS, you don't know how difficult it was to type "carts" and not "trolleys"... :meh:
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In my 20 years of work experience, the one thing I have learned is that the customer is always wrong - or at best has no idea what he/she wants!

So, I have tailored my career path to getting as far away from the customer as I can - I now only talk (as part of my job) to internal people and never get near a customer!
  8. Jeremy_X

Jan 29, 2002
    I am guilty of such behavior with the carts at the Wal-Mart Super center here. Before you jump down my throat know that the parking lot here was probably laid out by someone who was intoxicated and probably concussed. The cart returns are placed foolishly, 90% of them in the very back of the incredibly large asphalt ocean that is the parking lot. I doubt very much that they seriously expected people to walk over half the length of the parking lot, unload the cart, then walk all they back with the cart, and then after fighting to get it into the over full return walk all the way back to their car.
    If I'm near one, I use it but I'm not walking all over the parking lot to put a cart away. Its a pain for you and the people who do your jobs, and I am sorry that it is. Maybe I should talk to my friends that work there about getting more cart returns put up in the areas that people actually park in.
  9. Being a service techie i deal with customers broken units all day everyday. They write letters too. Some are classic "i called the firebrigade, they said so much smoke should not come from an appliance" *shakes head* but then you tell them it will be expensive and they get annoyed. Tell them its waiting parts and they get annoyed. Then they ring up "i have noticed a scratch on my cd player".. "well ma'am i fixed your unit i cleaned all the dirt off it and it has many scratches"

I subsequently dont talk to too many customers now. I tell them straight. My work is full of criminals ripping off the general public. So it stands to reason that myself being young and innocent would generally like to help people and give them a good service, but no its all money money money.

Not all customers are that bad, my boss thinks every customer is a dollar bill and who cares about them. He has said "eh who cares what she thinks, fix it and charge em 3 hours" "but this will take ten mins to fix and i'm using a spare part from a wreck" "so what do it."

I hate my job.

10. I work in Next (a clothes retailer) in a clearance shop...that means last season's fashions at hugely reduced prices (I've sold trousers for 12 pence during a sale :D) but for some reason customers think this means it's ok to leave the place looking like a jumble sale. People dump clothes on the floor, in the wrong department or just leave stuff near the tills. I've heard people say "Just leave that stuff there, the staff will clear it away later" yeah, right! Like we REALLY love spending the last two hours of the day on our hands and knees picking clothes up off the floor and putting them in the right place. I've taken to glaring at people when they do it...generally they put stuff back in the right place then.

This customer is always right crap isn't just an American problem my friend.
  11. I once worked in a pizza place, and while most times I was happy making the dough or taking the pizzas out of the oven I'm sorry to say I sometimes had to deal with the customers. I will never work in a place where there is a remote chance I'll ever come near a customer again.
  12. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    That proves one thing: that they're idiots!

If they'd study harder, they'd learn that maximizing shareholder value is (or should be) the core business practice corporations engage in. Keeping customers happy only serves that business practice because, as they say in B school, it's far more expensive to gain new customers than it is to keep existing customers.
  13. lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    If we all put our carts away properly, you wouldn't have a job.

14. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    You are joking, right, Spank?
  15. Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    Tell them it's wrong, WHY it's wrong, speak gently, and use small words.

I've chewed out probably a dozen customers for various things in my 2 years at Wal*Mart...And I just noticed both Matt and myself use the squiggly instead of a hyphen...That frightens me.

Oh, right. And not only have the customers I've talked to not repeated the offenses, I've heard them telling their friends to obey the rules, too.

Example: "Sir, if you leave your cart there you make it more likely it will hit someone's car or they will hit it."

If they get angry or whiny, follow with: "Just last month some jerk came tearing through here at about 40, hit a cart and drove it into a parked car. Knocked the side mirror completely off. They drove off so fast we never got ID, or anything. Just thought I'd let you know."

Then, if you recognize their car at a later date, drop a cart a couple inches from a door and go on lunch. Their reaction on returning should help them decide to be better people.
  16. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    What are tills? Are those the changing rooms or the cash register/checkout lines?

When I try on clothes I always take them back to the rack if they don't fit or if decide against them. My fiance however always just leaves them in the dressing room and says that it's what your supposed to do because they don't want customers putting clothes back in the wrong place and whatnot. So, someone that works in an American clothing store tell me what is preferred...leave it there or put it back myself?

I guess this is somewhat off-topic but oh well.

brad cook
  17. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    A till is where they keep the money.
  18. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    In shops where they have someone waiting outside the changing rooms, they usually always say "let me take that for you", if you don't want to buy whatever it is you've tried on, IME.

If there isn't a member of staff doing that, then I just take it back to the rack.
  19. My two cents,
    Having read the responses on this thread I think the thinking is askew.
    No customers , No job.
    It's just that simple.
    The bottom line of any business is to please it's customer. Happy customers mean return business, which means a steady paycheck.
    If everyone returned those carts, then Wal-Mart could probably let someone go rather than pay someone to collect them. And that someone laid off could be you!
    I can't tell you how annoyed I get when I am spending my very hard earned scratch and a clerk won't even look me in the eye or say Thanks for shopping here. Or when I say, you know that item should be X price and it came up Y on the register, and I am met with that heavy sigh and eye roll. I had one clerk proclaim "You messed up my register" when an item rang up incorrectly.And she wasn't joking either.
    I'll hear clerks complaining how busy it is without realizing that busy is job security.
    I'll ask a store clerk "Hey could you tell me where this item is?" and i'll get a sigh and a vague finger point. How hard would it be to look me in the eye with a smile and say "it's just over here, would you like me to show you?"
    Persoanlly I think the work ethic of America is what's slipping. People these days are more concerned about break time and socializing on the clock than they are about the companies bottom line which in turn is the employees bottom line.
    I think one reason online shopping is such a boom is people are tired of the insolence and contempt they are met with at brick and mortar companies.
    Okay there I vented.