Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Downward Spiral Special Edition

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Droog, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    For those of you that did not know (or care). Trent Reznor re-released TDS in a hybrid SACD/CD format. What you get in this lovely package is TDS in Hi-rez surround sound, as well as a remastered hi-rez stereo mix. It also comes with another disc containing b-sides, remixes and covers, though if you are NIN fan you have most likely already heard (and have on CD) these tunes.

Now remember kids its an SACD, so you gots to have an SACD compatible player. Thats right your DVD surround system will not have any clue what to do with those digital bits on that shiney little disc. However there is a DVD-A release available as well. Though you wont get the bonus disk, you will still get the hi-rez surrounda and stereo mixes. Also some bonus visuals I believe, videos to be specific.

2. apparently, no one cares/

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    How does one know if they have an SACD compatible player?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Easy. You spent a heck of alot of money on it.

5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Eek.

6. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Not really. We've got a 5 disc Sony DVD player that we only spent like $120 on that plays SACDs. I've got "Dark Side of The Moon" and The Police Greatest hits discs in SACD. I'm definately gonna pick up this one. For some reason, I really like the idea of music in 5.1 chanells. I guess a dream of mine is to make an album in that format, just to see what I could do. But that would cost a lot more than what your average college student could pay for, so I'll just put that in the "dreams/future goals" category and move on....

7. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Yeah, you can get resonably priced SACD players. I think a lot of people are in the dark about surround sound still. Its not quite as expsensive and "audiophile" like anymore. For some people though it means owning two decks, and having a rather exstensive reciever. Some people don't want to bother, but those who do, there is some cool stuff coming out.

8. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Funny, I was just thinking about this. I've always admired the use of phase to make sounds jump out of a normal stereo system and appear behind you or next to you on this album. It's a bit limited - you can only do so much with two speakers, but put to good use.

I realized the other day, if he were to record this now he'd probably just do it in surround sound. But for some reason that would lose the magic for me. :)

I haven't jumped on the SACD / DVD-A bandwagon yet, but if I had I'd probably run out and buy this. One of the best albums ever recorded, IMO.

9. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    I have not jumped on the bandwagon either. For some reason that did not stop me from buying it. Though the remasted stereo mix is nice. He mentioned that he would like to go back and do similiar released with Broken and PHM. Supposedly the new album will see a 5.1 release as well as regular ol' stereo.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I would have bought this if it werent for the fact that I cant listen to it.

11. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Is this also a tacit admission that Trent has run out of new ideas. I mean everyone does retrospectives sometimes, that's normal, but what else has his creative output been lately? I'm not knocking his previous work (his legacy is probably secure), just wondering about now...

12. Droog

Droog

Aug 14, 2003
    PDX
    Guess most people still have not heard that the new album is on the way. Well, that is to say that its should see release in the first 1/4 of 05. Reznor is notoriously tedious and picky, but I think the new album is in the home stretch. It would be nice to put out an album every 4 years or so and still make a living. Not that I am saying that he does not do much, I think he is much more prolific than people give him credit for. I think the guy has too many new ideas, and it takes forever to shape them into something. Though this is the longest wait we have had in between albums.

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    He spent a lot of time working on Doom 3 before dropping the project too.

14. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Cool, it's just the last time that he was due to release something major (The Fragile) there was a ton of advance buzz so I sort of assumed that it would be the same this time... Good to hear he's still working on new material too.