1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The dreaded BLACKFINGER

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by FromTheBassMent, May 10, 2010.

1. FromTheBassMent

FromTheBassMent Those who can, play bass. Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Providence, RI
    I just put a set of DR nickel LoRiders on the Sterling 5 I just bought from bino (insanely great bass, btw). After playing for about 90 minutes I looked at my hands and...

THE DREADED BLACKFINGER!! :eek:

I remember back in my guitar playing days having my fingers turn black from crappy Fender nickel strings, but I've used these DR's before without this happening. I can't think of anything in my playing environment that's changed, nor in my body chemistry for that matter (that I know of, anyway).

Anyone else ever had this experience? Has DR changed their nickel plating formulation? Just a bad set? I'm kinda bummed because these strings sound GREAT on this bass. But it took me like twenty minutes of scrubbing with a stiff brush to get the crud off of my fingers!

2. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    This isn't uncommon with nickel plated strings. It's happened to me before and I'm sure it will happen again.

No big deal. It will stop once you get some playing time on the strings.