1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Dreaded Plateau

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Darth Moley, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Darth Moley

Darth Moley

Jun 11, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    Ladies and Gents-

After playing guitar and bass off and on for the last 16 years, I have decided that I need to focus on my bass playing. I’m not quitting guitar, I just think that playing bass is the direction I need to go. The trouble I’m having is that I seem to have hit a plateau and I just can’t get past it. I don’t consider myself to be an awesome bassist by any stretch of the word. I’m good at holding a rhythm and that’s about it.

I wish I could afford to get some lessons from Mr. Ed Friedland. I don’t know what he charges, but all I can afford right now is free! I know there are some really great players on this forum, and I’m sure some of you guys have hit plateaus in your playing as well. What did you do to get past it? Any exercises or practice techniques that really helped you out? I'm really trying to take it to the next level and beyond! :help:

Thank you from a struggling bass player!

2. Perhaps you need a break. My rhythm guitar has been on auto pilot for years. Been with the same band for 10 years and we've been playing the same 50 +/- songs for 10 years. They expect certain things from their rhythm guitar and that is what I give them. My point some time what we want is not what everyone else wants us to do.

With the other band where I play bass if I go beyond R-5-R-5 with chromatic runs to the next chord, I'm stepping on someone's toes.

When you go to McDonald's you know what the hamburger is going to taste like, you can trust it to be the same........

Now for fun at home I miss around on the keyboard, there is a clarinet over in the corner gathering dust. The sailboat is outside at our dock, the ham radio is right behind me, then there is Kiwanis and the many projects they offer volunteers.

Take a break do something else see if that lifts your kilt. Always plenty of stuff to do you just have to look around.