The Dresden Dolls

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bard2dbone, Oct 13, 2004.

1. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    My son came and told me about a group I'd never heard of. And I'm impressed. I'm interested. I'm confused. Usually I tell him about music that's good and he tells me about music that's crap. He did it wrong this time. These folks are promising.

I should probably be horrified. Michael has a long history of getting interested in bands that I can't make myself enjoy. But this time he said he had seen the wierdest performance maybe ever. And that I ought to check them out.

'They' are the Dresden Dolls. A duo. Drums and Keys/Vox. No bass. Hmmm lost some points there. But they're interesting anyway.

They are kind of Punk/Cabaret Fusion.

Go back and read that line again. I'll wait right here. Some of their stuff is very catchy: (Coin Operated Boy) Some is seriously disturbing: (Girl Anachronism). Some is fun, but sick: (Miss Me)

Check them out. It's worth it.

And although the mimes-gone-bad look is a little odd, I think Amanda, the singer/pianist is strangely hot.
  2. Yes, they are from my neck of the woods. Quite a fun yet unsettling spectacle. Quirky music, totally pro performance, ultra-sexy vibe, really hot lady on keys.

Both wear porcelain doll makeup and wigs and other off kilter attire. Total mind-f performances. Yes...bigger and better for them methinks.
  3. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    i LOVE the dresden dolls! :D
    i saw them last time they were in london, and i'm seeing them again in a month or so.

i think genrewise they call themselves death-caberet or something like that.
    their costume and stage acts are very fitting for their music, and i can't imagine seeing them play live without all the trappings.
  4. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Wow. just checked out their site. i dig them. Looks like they will be in DC this month too.
  5. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    whoa, this rocks.
  6. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I think I will see them in LA.
  7. They're very weird, but I really dig original music, even if it is....weird. My buddy got to meet the Dresden Dolls when he went to see NIN, they autographed his t-shirt.
  8. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

My son, the Zappa and X-Girls fan, saw them a few times
    last year and raved about them. And he is very hard to
    impress after years of Zappa. By definition that makes
    them quirky, good and appealing to intelligent musicians.
  9. why would the fact that there's no bass make it lose points for you? If it was another guitar+drums duo I could understand, but a piano is designed to cover most of the frequency spectrum.
  10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    I've heard very good things about them, my drummer loves them.