The Drum off made me buy the wrong cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by origami, Oct 4, 2005.

1. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    Some of you saw my griping in the my other post(s) about being displeased with certain farty perhaps belchy aspects of my Ampeg SVT610hlf. Especially during the note D.

After destroying convection theories at my Physics class (never trust a history major in the physics lab), I went to back to GC for a few hours today.

I could finally play at an increased volume with many basses, and thru many different cabs both stand-alone and combinations.

Why, because there was not the "drum-off" competition happening. Regretfully, there was a drum-off happening when I bought the 610hlf, and I could not turn up and disturb the 99% talent-less drumming going on in the next room. I think that drum off made me buy the wrong cab. ahhhhh. :crying:

*On-the-down low tangent... (I know talk bass is a way for us to get away from drummers), but several years ago I placed 4th in my city's GC drum off.

My secret to placing 4th: be original. ditch the double-bass crap, play traditional grip or with the snare off, be musical with the triplets, entertain, maybe pretend to do drum corps stuff. To the grimaces of many mulleted drummers, I guess the judges liked it a lot. I have since sworn off drum competitions. I guess a bass playing drummer can only get so lucky once.

While I was low volume testing the SVT610hlf, I heard the same fricking drum solo 20 times :help: : funky beat, china cymbal exploration followed by the double-kick beat, followed by the incorrect rudiments, followed by the triplets. roto-toms, splashes and bongos.. oh my!

I was so numbed by the "drum off" it had to be the reason I bought the 610hlf? Maybe 1,000 flams and rim shots can make you think you can lift this cabinet by yourself when your diet is all chipotle.

A warning to all: Make no purchases during drum off week.

BTW- I returned the 610hlf and bough a 410he and a 15e. I already own a 15e so this gives me the best of every world. 4x10 or 15" stand-alone or a stack of 15" or 4x10 + 15" stack and all the cabs match cosmetically and can be lifted by me after many jager shotz.

also, the 410hlf farted on the "D" too.
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Are simply detuning your E string?
  3. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    get a 35" scale 5 string and play the D there see if that farts out .....
  4. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    I mean this D

but yes my 610 did fart on on drop D and the higher octave D harmonic too. and so did the GC demo 410HLF.

it only seemed like certain speakers were freaking out on the 610, but the 410 it was the whole cab buzzed, and this happened with both a stingray (flat), ibanez(flat) and p-bass that i was demoing stuff with.

It also happened at GC when i used a GK head (set flat) and a behringer hear (i know) set flat to demo cabs, so i could ellimenate the basses and heads out of the equation as reasons for the cabs making noise.

5. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    Sounds like bad room acoustics...
  6. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I would say something is to blame here and it isn't the cab. My SVT handled the B on a five string with ease.
  7. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    My guess is that that D is the second harmonic of the tuning frequency of that cab. This is where the speaker moves the most and maybe it hits x-max.

BTW it´s great to hear someone else having problems with Ampegs cabs. I was thinking I did something wrong but I´ve never been able to play through a Ampeg 410 or 610 at practice level without getting distortion from the cab. And that is with a 4-string P-bass.
  8. xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    i dont know man. i had an 8x10, i have played a 410hlf, and i own a 610hlf. only time ive ever had a problem with speaker farting is when i had the lows too low, or the highs way too high.

i use a p-bass. i've played tiny gigs, and ive played huge gigs with it. never had a problem with my 610hlf(except when i had lows to low and or highs to high.
  9. origami

Jun 26, 2005
    Big D TEXAS
    again... this happened with three different heads (GK1001, GK700, berringer 450) all set to flat. and at 3 places (GC, indoor gig, outdoor gig) and with 5 basses with EQ flat/not boost (2 p-basses, j-bass, stringray and ibanez).

I personally think it is these combinations that led to my problems: I believe the cabinet is resonatating at D (open fretted, harmonic, low and high), and that the speakers have power handling issues, and that perhaps my 610 (the demo 410 HLF too) cabinet were both duds.

I played through my SVT 15e at home and at GC with no problems. so ibought another one, and although the 410e has the same speakers as the 610hlf and 410hlf i believe the lack of ports may "focus" the bass a little.
  10. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    tsk tsk Mike, I think that you might lose indie cred points with some of your old gang back in OKC for that.......
  11. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    check your EQ on your head. If you have the lows boosted up a lot...this may be the cause of the farting. Maybe your bass has the lows boosted on it also. I know the Bass Knob on my G&L is extremely powerful when all the way up. perhaps your bass is similar?