Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Duct Tape Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jive1, Jul 12, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Duct Tape has to be one of the most essential supplies of the gigging musician. It may be silver, but on the gig it's gold. I dream about the day when I come into my own as a musician and have my own personal roll of duct tape.

I used it to tape down cables so people don't trip on them, I have used it to "solder" a connection, I've used it as cable ties for storing cables, I've used it as labels for the mixing board, and once as a bandage for a broken callus. I'm sure there's been more uses that I can't recall.

So what have you guys used duct tape for?

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    I've taped peoples mouths shut with it before. It helps keep the drummers drool of of everything :p

3. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I like duct tape, I have several rolls in different colors so I can mark cables and their respective jacks so I don't have to think when I'm hooking everything up.

Gaffer's tape is better, but I think it only comes in black.

4. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I used two or three roles of it during my lights setup for a production of 42nd Street in May. I swear, that stuff saves lives.

5. mr e

mr e

Nov 17, 2003
    nyc
    gaff tape

6. Not nessecarily music-related, but I have a purse, a wallet, and a pair of flip flops all made ENTIRELY our of duct tape. :D

7. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I also have a wallet made of duct tape. I made a pair of shoes out of it when I was on the road years ago. I wore them on stage one night as a joke. I've used it to hem pants( road thread) and to mend jackets. My dad say's whenever he sees a roll of duct tape he thinks of me. Right now I have regular, 3" wide and camo. :D

8. My previous drummers bassdrumm-skin and snare-skin were 90 silver gaff tape. :D

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Ive made straps our of duct tape before.

10. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I live in a college apartment. One day while I wasn't in the apartment (luckily), my room mate informed me that around 5 pm the fire alarm went off in the entire building. It turns out when the fire department got there to turn off the alarm, some argument broke out between the fire dept and the RA. So the fire dept left without turning off the alarm. My room mate tells me that the alarm wasn't turned off until about 11 pm. He went next door to the neighbors place and relaxed there until there because our neighbor had put gum in the fire alarm speaker.

Fast forward a bit to when the fire alarm goes off when I'm up there (I guess it goes off a lot). Now I'm actually experiencing what my room mate experienced, and it is LOUD. Ear piercingly loud. You can't walk around without covering your ears. So when the fire alarm went off, I stroll right out to my car (all my tools are in there for when I fix it when it breaks down on the side of the road), grab the duct tape, and stroll right back in the apartment.

I get a nice big towel and duct tape it over the fire alarm. Best thing I've ever used duct tape for.

Sure I can still hear the alarm, but now it isn't ear piercingly loud.

Also, it will still be able to wake me up incase there is an actual fire (yeah right).

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Lucky you.

Last spring we had a few fire alarms per week. They didnt catch the guy till finals week.

12. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    The best thing I've ever used duct tape for would be...hmmm..

Once, long ago, I was jamming with a drummer who'd had a few more beers than he should have. He kept losing his grip on his sticks mid-swing, and they kept hitting me. Fortunately, I had duct tape handy, so I taped the sticks to his hands for the remainder of the night. It was great watching him try to get free, too.

13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    [​IMG]

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Germans are funny but weird. ;)

15. i fixed the output jack on my bass with duct tape.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Duct tape is like the Force: it has a light side, a dark side, and holds the universe together.

Old one-liner from the bowels of the the internet.

17. Duct tape is really good with mics, and i dont mean the thing you sing into either , i mean certain drummers who cant seem to stay seated, or even behind the drumset.

18. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Excellent! Excellent topic.

I am one of the prime supporters of the Duct Tape industry. They make more money off me, than they do off most contractors. I use Duct Tape for just about everything.

Let's start with the obvious stuff. Tacking cables down on the stage. Keeping equipment in place. Like microphones. Minor repairs on drum kits and PA cabinets. Keeping a hard case with a broken latch together. I've used Duct Tape to keep my amp from jumping around on top of my cab. And to keep one cab from moving relative to another. I've used it in place of rope, for levers, triggers, and so on. That kind of thing.

Then there's some less obvious applications. I've used Duct Tape to get a handle on a cold beer that was "sweating" too much. I've used it in place of a belt to keep my pants from falling down. I've used it to keep my hat on (I'd recommend shaving your head before trying that one). I've rolled up some Duct Tape into a "baseball" so I could throw it at the roadies when they get distracted. I've used it to keep ...er.... "cigarettes" in a place where I could find them. And picks, and guitar slides. I've used DT to insulate electronics inside my instrument cavity, to fix cables with loose plugs (or plugs without sleeves), to keep my instrument cable from getting all munged up when I'm surfing a big stage, and to keep my wireless unit from falling off when I change basses.

There's no end to the useful things one can do with a nice roll of Duct Tape. :)

19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I just remembered that Ive used it a few times to tape some medical aparatus (an insulin pump- Im diabetic) to my torso for those concerts that I know are going to get a little rough in the pit.

EDIT: I didnt shave the first time but the times after I was smart enough to shave all around. Being hairy sucks sometimes.

20. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Duct tape. It feels so good going on. Coming off? that's a different story. :eek: