Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Duke on DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by moped10, Apr 9, 2004.

1. moped10

moped10

Apr 9, 2003
    Wilmington, NC
    Hola all, I'm in a heavy Ellington listening phase again (every few years I put all my other music up and soak up the best music ever written/recorded- I dare you to refute the Duke)- So anyway, I saw a couple live clips of him and his orchestra circa mid 30's on that Ken Burns comp and am looking for more WITHOUT narration over it, the older the better- Billy Taylor, Wellman Braud, of course Blanton, I'll take whatever I can get; do you guys have any DVD recommendations or am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    You might try contacting David Chertok (is he at Harvard?) since he's got HUGE archives of jazz footage. He should at least be able to tell you what footage exists. Also maybe contact Dan Morgenstern at the Institute for Jazz Studies at Rutgers, he's a good resource as well...

3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Steve - the last one on the list looks like it's the only one that fits the bill ie "early" Ellington. Everything else seems to be post 1955 and the majority is post 1965!

4. Ahhh. I missed "the older the better" in the original. Of course, I should have figured that out by the names he listed.