Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Eagle Has Landed!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nick man, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    The Ibanez Black Eagle bass that is!

I dont have a camera so I cant get you guys pics just yet but they will be here soon.

Now on to the good stuff!

Its in pretty good cosmetic condition, especially considering its age. The neck is in need of an adjustment but I gonna get that taken care of really soon. It sounds amazing! Its one of the growliest jazz basses Ive ever played! I have to bring up the neck pickup a bit to get it to be about where I like it though.

I already installed the schaller straplocks that go on all my basses, and Ill be bringing it to practice on saturday. Ill get you guys pics sometime soon.

Peace
    Nick

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Congrads Nick you will be rockin in true grunge fashion;) .How old is the bass?. Whats next on your list

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Is the headstock in good condition?

4. Congrats on the bass, Nick. I never played one myself, but it is an old Ibanez. Their build quality back in the 70s and early 80s was excellent. :)

Enjoy it. :cool:

Mike

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I havent checked the serial # so I cant be sure of the date, but this model was made between 75 and 77 so I can be sure that its around 10 years older than me. If anyone knows of a page that has a reference for Ibanez basses serial numbers and age let me know.

The headstock is in almost perfect condition! There are only a couple of small nicks in the bottom hook but other than that it is great. One thing I did notice is that the finish is really sloppy in the cutaways of the H/S, :p but who realy cares anyways!

The frets are pretty low but even. I want to string it with some nice stainless strings and set it up the way I like, but Im kind of worried I might want to get the frets re done before I do that.

Im not sure if you guys knew, but this bass is a slightly shorter scale than most Fenders. Its 33.5" inches which should end up being more comfortable once I adjust to it.

Time to go play the new bass.

Peace
    Nick

6. Good news and bad news.

The good news:

Here's The Ibanez Vintage page. :hyper:

http://www.noahjames.com/

The bad news:

It's closed, and is for sale. :(

A few of those 900 hits per day were me, and I never sent the guy any money.

Mea culpa. :bawl:

Sorry, Nick.

Mike

7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Very cool. I've always wanted one of these. How much does she weigh?

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I havent had the chance to break out the scale yet, (its in my parents room and they are fast asleep) but I dont think its too heavy.

My co workers seems to think its incredibly heavy though. Either way, I just bought a new wide franklin soft leather strap that should help take care of the job either way.

I cant wait to get pics up! Its in really really good condition and now that I set it up the way I like it (the way my valenti came set up:D ) its dying to be paraded around!

Tomorrow is the first practice with it!

Peace
    Nick

9. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
  10. I agree wholeheartedly with this comment. My first bass was a red 70's Ibanez and I loved the playability and the sound of it. At the time I owned the bass it wasn't cool to be seen playing a non USA ( read Fender ) bass, which is why I sold it. Wish I hadn't now though, as I really liked it. Congratulations Nick. How about a pic? :)

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Im working on borrowing a camera at the momment, but I havent been sucesfull.

I played it at practice with the band today and Im totally blown away by it. It feels and plays great with the setup (wich was easy, the rod and hardware were all still working) I gave it, and the sound is killer.

It sounds like a jazz bass on steroids! Just huge cutting tone. Its not too bright with the tone up , and not too boomy with it cut. Its just natrually really resonant.

The band was pretty impresed by it too. Our guitarist just got a new Gibson SG so we were all feeling really good, just one big room of tone!

Peace
    Nick

12. Nick, congrats man, it's nice to see a guy like you, get a bass like that!

[​IMG]
    Treena

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks Treena!

The only complaint I have is that I am a bit concerned about knocking off the headstock.:meh:

Worst part is, I like my basses used, and played. I dont abuse them, but I dont baby them and Id rather not slow down on stage because Im scared of knocking off a chunk of the headstock. Maybe I should ask one of the forums luthiers if they're interested in building me a copy I wont feel so bad rocking out with.

Imagine that, the Nick signature Black Eagle Bass!:cool:

Peace
    Nick

14. Nick,

You could be on to something. I've never seen any try to copy the Ibanez.

It could work!

[​IMG]
    Treena

15. Man I though this thread was going to be about the classic Saxon album :bawl:

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Maybe if it was posted in Recordings!

Peace
    Nick