The earth is flat?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Element Zero, Jul 22, 2018.

1. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    what the... when... when did this happen? People legitimately believe the earth is flat?

2. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    Flammarion.jpg

3. Lots of people legitimately and genuinely believe many things. It's best not to think too hard about it, as the ride never ends. I find it kind of comforting knowing that in the seemingly endless depths of my own idiocy, I'm at least far from alone. Maybe I should start an "idiots anonymous" or something.

4. petrus61

petrus61 Supporting Member

2991AE6A-8FFF-4832-BC43-C29E2F15F9D3.jpeg

5. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It's true. This whole round earth nonsense is just a conspiracy thought up by Bill Nye and Neil deGrasse Tyson.

The Owl, PillO, Bassbeater and 8 others like this.
  6. The Earth is flat, but as long as it's in tune with the other planets, the audience will never know.

jamro217, The Owl, PillO and 48 others like this.
  7. bluesblaster

bluesblaster

Jan 2, 2008
    better a flat earth than a sharp earth, oh the bother, constantly cutting yourself and snagging your clothing

jamro217, PillO, J_Bass and 5 others like this.
  8. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
  9. I can go for Square Earth. Who among us hasn't "gone to the corner" for something?

10. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    I thought the flat earth thing was a joke, something to call the tin foil hat guys or the guys at your job who screw something up. "Don't mind him, he's a member of the flat earth society." That type of thing. Then some contractor at work told me, rather snarky like, to "do some research." I couldn't help but laugh at him. He got mad and took his lunch outside.

So it's definitely a thing. I guess that's why we've not found another habitable planet. With that globe shape, all the water falls right off into space!

11. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSoD3YaBzqVfdtyysbYzu1Aog8LJsRDX9xX5YMoOMVe3OiWi8ns_Q.jpg

jamro217, The Owl, PillO and 18 others like this.
  12. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Actually, we have a giant ice wall on the rim of our frisbee that keeps all the water from running off.

The Owl, sigterm, dbsfgyd1 and 3 others like this.
  13. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    View attachment 3090627

14. blue4

blue4

Feb 3, 2013
    St. Louis area
    The simplest explanations are usually the correct ones.

mikewalker and fhm555 like this.
  15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A+

jamro217, mikewalker and two fingers like this.
  16. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    2528246_1.jpg

17. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    See, you think you know something because “the man” indoctrinated you with lies all your life, then BAM!! You get the truth. It can be a bit overwhelming at first but once you accept the reality of that truth, it’s liberating beyond belief.

blue4, mikewalker and SunnBass like this.
  18. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I can never tell if the flat-earth people believe this in earnest, or if they are taking part in some sort of deliberate anti-intellectual gaslighting, like the “carbon is life” movement or... other strange cults of people who insist that they believe things that are demonstrably false.

I also wonder what other conspiracies this particular system co-relates with. I had a strange experience lately where I was following an artisan on Facebook who I seemed to feel strongly simpatico with on some bedrock issues and out of left field, he started talking about how last year was the coldest average temperature on the planet and that we need to prepare for an eminent ice age that is already underway.

jamro217, J_Bass, Lobster11 and 6 others like this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 24, 2021