1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The economic effect on the classifieds

Discussion in 'Classifieds Usage Discussion and Help' started by austentaciousC, Jun 5, 2011.

1. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    So, this might be moved but id like to make an observation.

As an un-apologetic serial GAS-aholic, ive been on these classifieds for awhile trading and buying and selling...and in just the last 6 months ive seen a HUGE change from Trade ads to 90% sale ads...i hate to see alot of my fellow bassists in financial trouble, and as somebody who trades most of the time it has cut back alittle on my bass swapping...so, comments?

2. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I completely agree with your observations. I have only been on TB for a year and I've noticed a difference lately. Prices on his board, in general, are lower than most other places, and lately sales prices have slipped markedly.

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    I just took a bath on a Godin fretless I bought used and then had to sell. I definitely notice a down trend lately.

4. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    Not on Peavey Millennium US basses. $650, $750?? For standard models? They are great, that's all I play, but they weren't a heck of a lot more than that new a decade ago. $500-$600 tops is all they are worth. Not sure why all of a sudden everyone is getting brave and listing them so high.

5. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    I disagree. The basses were actually much more than that new, however, Peavey clearanced them out and sold them dirt cheap. The basses are worth every penny being asked in terms of build quality and what you're getting. However, buyers may not want to pay that as the resale is usually lower. But for someone who wants to keep the bass for a lifetime, they are more than worth it!

6. synterx

synterx

Jan 24, 2005
    Illinois
    They were not that much more. I remember when I bought my US Cirrus years ago, I paid $1300.00 for a stock 4 string maple. The same 4 string Millennium was $949, with the plus model being $1099.

Again, I love them, have 3 now, and had others in the past. But I paid $400-$600 for them depending on condition. That's with the original hard case too.

I guess if people can get $700, so be it. But I've been watching them for several years and it's just recently that they went up.

7. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    This is a general statement about the state of the market, yes some do better than others, but its rare to find a "trade" thread anymore, and very common to see a "I need to move this bass for financial reasons/emergency cash/debt/house payments.

8. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I actually disagree, I see more trade ads posted. During the deepest part of the recession people were posting a lot more of "I need to do this to feed my children and keep my home". Now people have gotten accustomed to the recession and the fact that they will lose money on any sale they make, so they are offering trades in the hopes that they can get a bass they want without losing a ton of money in the process.

9. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    people are looking for more specific things as well. There are a lot more people who need money now that 'play money' has been exhausted. Nothing out of the ordinary

10. austentaciousC

austentaciousC

Mar 17, 2010
    I could go on about classified trends (traditional fender popularity vs. the super-j copy market, ERB vs 4 string, boutiques going for high and then selling low and the opposite). It just seems that this trend has affected me the most.

11. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I've been on TB for awhile. I think there is actually more items for trade than for sale. I think at the upper end ($2500 and up) you are seeing more sales because most with a bass in that range have very specific requests or have to take 2 or three items or alot of cash.

Thank being said, I think we are all holding on to our cash a little tighter. Bigger concerns that come to mind is Guitar Center's financial situation. They are having a hard time paying loans and have a horrible revenue/profit ratio, which will eventually lead to loan default.

Not pro or con on GC and we could go on for days about the quality and why they are in that situation (another thread). However, when the giant has a hard time staying in business, it's going to make it hard for the average guy to have access to many things we only find out about on talkbass

12. perfektspace6

perfektspace6

May 9, 2006
    Maryland
    I think the biggest trend I have noticed since the downturn intensified is the sheer number of basses that aren't selling. You see a number of threads where no one is even asking about the instrument, just a series of sellers bumping the thread. So many folks simply don't have expendable income to justify spending several thousand on a bass guitar but sellers, in some cases, are still trying to move instruments at prices that would have been in the ballpark 3 or 4 years ago. Chances are, if you try to move a higher end bass these days you are going to have to sell much lower than may seem reasonable. If you are a buyer with some extra cash this is a great time to pick up used instruments at very low prices.

13. Jordan

Jordan

Feb 22, 2004
    It used to be much easier to sell an instrument. At some point after the recession I started gaining more basses than I was selling.
    I could trade them, but it's much harder to sell without taking a bath.

14. +1,000,000,000

15. Jaymi

Jaymi Pink Bass Man

Feb 11, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Ampeg , GHS
    CERTAIN basses are moving...many are not..

16. Due to how slow things move i promised i wouldnt buy myself anymore gear as it takes forever to move stuff it seems. I have only bought one super cheap squier the last few months and have just been liquidating gear since, still got to move crap

Unless its super cheap or I really need it i wont be buying gear anymore.

17. madbassplaya

madbassplaya

Dec 28, 2007
    When I first started playing bass I bought a Millennium BXP. They had a USA made one a plus model and it was 1399 and the 4 string version was 1199. Maybe my shop was higher than most, I don't know.

Will I buy a Millennium for 700, 750 or 800 dollars? Absolutely not. Why? because I know if I needed to sell one, I'd be lucky to get 550 shipped for them. You will lose money on a Peavey everytime unless you get it cheap.

So like I said before. If you plan on getting a bass and keeping it forever, they're worth those prices. If not, better go with a brand that has a resell value.

18. MNAirHead

MNAirHead Supporting Member

It really depends...

In my tiny little part of the world...

I've noticed commodity stuff slowing (Fender Pbasses, amps etc)

Quality and Value stuff is still moving.... some of it is gaining value (Millenium Plus 5 etc)

What I have noticed is that stuff that used to rest on it's laurels/nameplate (Lakland, Sadowsky, Fender -- and yes I own all of these) are getting whacked by equal equivalents.

I am noticing the "Made in USA" premium is not as valuable as more vendors create a consistent import quality.

Tim

19. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Probably more selling than buying right now, but I think things are still moving if you're patient. IMHO, there's a general trend towards simplicity in the bass world now. Two good basses, a good amp and maybe a tuner / compressor (or your favorite pedal) and I'm good.

20. 70sJazz

70sJazz Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Washington, DC
    I've actually been surprised at the number of trade threads where the buyer will not accept cash. I always thought cash was king since you can use it for whatever you want.

I've seen some nice instruments I would have been willing to buy, but didn't have one of the basses in the extremely narrow focus the person was looking for.