1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

The EDEN sound? Help a noob

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassmasta18, Aug 15, 2007.

1. bassmasta18

bassmasta18

Jun 8, 2007
    Ireland
    While ive been playing bass almost 5 years and have a good knowledge of basses and playing, I am a total noob when it comes to amps. Living in Ireland there isnt much in the shops to try out. I am seriously considering buying the Eden Nemesis NA650 and the nemesis 212 cab. everyone on here seems to praise the Eden gear, but i dont know if its for me r not. I play a six string in a rock/progrock/blues band.

So execuse my ignorance when i ask 'what kind of amps are eden amps?'

2. ddwilkins

ddwilkins

Dec 21, 2006
    Wilson, NC
    They are good amps, even though there has been some problems with their customer service recently. Also, they've had a few mishaps with some of their products, but that's what happens when you mass produce a product. I have Eden gear and I love it.

3. bassmasta18

bassmasta18

Jun 8, 2007
    Ireland
    I am aware they are good amps. most people on this site seem to like them. but wat i want to know is wat kind of music are they suited to. Blues, rock, country, jazz etc.

4. matt11

matt11 Supporting Member

May 19, 2006
    Montreal
    Fine for a clean, warm sound. If you want some tubey grind and grit, you'll need to use a pedal. I haven't played the Nemesis line, but I use my wt550 with a sansamp bass driver and an electroharmonix POG for really heavy stuff, and usually just run straight into it for straight-up rock and blues.

5. elpelotero

elpelotero

Jun 16, 2006
    they are very transparent amps that don't color the sound of your bass as much as some other companies do. That being said, even though they have a solid state power end, the preamp has a 12ax7 tube to give just the right amount of warmth to the sound.

This is the best of both worlds because you get a a fast attack from the solid state power seciton, transparent sound, and a little bit of warmth from the tube. If you like a real tube sound though, it's not the amp for you.

6. THSL

THSL

Jun 3, 2007
    New York, NY
    Beware, the Nemesis stuff has plastic input jacks... The sound is not bad, but it's not my sound...

7. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    tHE Nemesis line is the intermediant series. Real good for blues and rock. You can do progressive and jazz as well. Though the World Tour series is better for those last two styles. When I was studing jazz performance at Columbia College (Chicago) The school used a nc410 combo. It SOUNDED GREAT FOR ALL THE STYLES WE DID. The Nemesis series colors the tone a bit more, then the WT series. Some players prefer that as your tone is strictly determined by your techniuqe then. I hope I answered your questions.:bassist:

8. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    The nemie stuff is great, especially for the price. The 212 will sound great with a 6 string, it does have a "warm" sound in my opinion, great for blues and rock. The other thing I like about the Nemesis stuff is that it goes down to 2 ohms....this is a killer rig...and if you were to add another 212 to it at some point, it would be a monster.

9. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    The Newer Nemesis's will do 2ohms, though Eden does not rocommend it, as it's much harder on your speakers and you lose tone every time you divide your impedance. The pro is that it's louder at 2 ohms. I always suggest you use 2 8ohm cabs and run at 4 ohms.

10. curt72

curt72

May 10, 2006
    bremen - germany
    hi bassmasta

whereabouts in ireland are you?

we'll be playing this friday in the wexford arts centre at a hotpress gig. my plan is to bring my eden wt550 along and plug it into whatever cab they have there.

starting from mid september we should be playing fairly often in dublin, so if you're interested come along at some point and see if you like the sound.

i cant speak for the nemesis line but i own two wt amps and i love them to bits for their warm punch

cheers
    curt

11. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    SMU,

where did you hear that eden does not recomend that you run an amp at 2 ohms? Also, it is no harder on your speakers...your speakers see power, not ohms....the only difference I have seen is that your head works a little harder, but I find it hard to believe that Eden would say not to run it at 2 ohms...when it is called the 650, and that rating is at 2 ohms. Most people believe that the edens really open up when they are run at 2 ohms vs. 4. I know this was true with my 800 and 550.

No trying to argue, just hoping to gain some insight! Thanks

12. It's actually stated in their owners manuals (the ones for their 2 ohm heads, anyway), but I pay it no heed. My Nemesis NA650 sounds fantastic at 2 ohms as far as I'm concerned. To those who view the Nemesis line as anyway inferior, I heartily disagree, even if they do have PVC jacks (they've given me no trouble at all after a year's use). I did recently have to send the head back to Eden for a cracked PC board which causes an intermittent signal loss (this happens in their U.S. model heads as well). So in the meantime, one of my soundmen is loaning me his WT800. As can be seen in this pic from last Saturday night:

2329887_f75188bf1187139913_m.

Don't mind the goon w/the bass in the pic (I look like I'm holding in a huge bong hit). I ran it at 4 ohms a side and it sounds fantastic. Stylistically, I play mostly hard rock/metal, but I think Edens are suitable for all music styles (again, this applies to both the domestic and Nemesis lines). Bottom line, i think I've found a brand to be loyal to again, customer service issues notwithstanding. I won't go as far as to say Eden uber alles, but close enough, anyway ;)

13. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    I know the part yo uare referring to. That is mentioned becasue someone htinks that you lose a bit of "Tone" as you go below 4 ohms. We don't need to dive into that whole argument again. Thanks for letting me know where that came from...and as far as eden in concerned, they say you will have NO ISSUES whatsoever running at 2 ohms all day! Good luck

14. Agreed. I run it at 4 ohms for rehearsal and I hear no noticeable difference in tone between the two impedances.

15. nastyn8c

nastyn8c

Feb 7, 2005
    Tampa, FL
    IME the "eden tone" is just a very warm and clear sound. I prefer an uncolored, brighter tone. It's all a matter of preference.

16. I think for the application that you want to use it for, that rig will suit you just fine. I haven't tried the Nemesis 212 cab yet, but I've run my NA650 into a 4 ohm Avatar B212 Neo and it holds up just fine in any band scenario. In the future, you can add another 4 ohm cab (a 210 or another 212 would be my preference) and you'll have quite the monster at your disposal. Like the previous poster stated, clear and warm (punchy, too) are apt descriptions of the Eden sound.

17. Smu573

Smu573

Dec 6, 2002
    U.S.A. Chicago Il.
    EDEN Artist
    David Nordschow actually told me that the speakers work harder at two ohms and that there is some tone loss. I work for David Eden and I'm an endorser as well. The only reason we are making are amps go down to 2 ohms is because some players look for that. David recommends that you use 8ohm cabs and he also prefers that you do not go below 4 ohms. Are amps and cabs can handle it, but it's tougher on the gear and you do sacrifice some tone. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond, we had a fire in the mill today. Our gear is ok!

18. RADUB1

RADUB1

May 11, 2006
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Thanks for the info SMU!

19. myhot4

myhot4

Jul 11, 2006
    Sydney Australia
    The Nemesis stuff is great for what you want to do. The NA650 is a solid state amp with a solid state pre. It does not have a tube pre. It is warmer sounding than the WT amps and cabs. The amp is very reliable. you will hardly hear any complaints from users. :) This thing gets loud.

Known issues:
    *loud pop when powering up. This is is normal. Some think its overly loud, some think its fine.
    *the edge control is a subtle effect, and works well if the gain is set properly.

20. staccatogrowl

staccatogrowl Savoring time on a spinning, shimmery, aqua sphere Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2006
    Have years of experience with an older Nemesis 2x12 combo. It's seen plenty of gigs and travel. It has provided clear, powerful bass tone with great reliability. Get many compliments whenever this amp is used.

Have recent experience gigging with a backline-provided Time Traveller head matched to a 4-ohm D212XLT cabinet. Great tone and power!

Have read that the NA-650 is very similar to the Time Traveller. If so, you really can't go wrong.

Happy hunting!