The Eden WT550, this is the real deal.........

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by choad42, Apr 23, 2004.

1. Although Eden Electronics seem to have taken a backseat to being the flavor of the month amp manufacturer ( I think it's Aguilar these days...) it's great to know that Eden still enjoys a strong presence in the bass community. I was a long time Trace Elliot user but I have always felt that Eden amps were the next step in my strive for perfect tone after the first time I played through an Eden Traveler WT300. After I retired my Trace Elliot gear I began a search for my next amp. There are many companies out there making great, expensive bass amps. There are also many bass amp companies that claim to make the best sounding amps with a lot of over the top pre-amps and gimmick laden extras that do everything but deliver the solid room filling tone I was looking for. One company that seems to consistently deliver bassists exactly what they need is Eden Electronics. One of the newest amps out of the Eden stable is the WT550. In my opinion this is truly the best bass amp on the market right now. I have tried several Eden heads since the early 90s and I have to say that this head delivers the most bang for the buck! I have been playing bass long enough to know that a bassist's main job is to support the band, and this can only be done successfully with a good fundamental tone. When you use the WT550 there is no question that your tone will deliver on all accounts, tight defined bottom, warm lush mids and smooth highs. Every aspect of the WT550 serves a vital and valid purpose, the eq sounds great flat, however it's a real comfort to know that even the slightest eq adjustments bring forth plenty of tonal options if required. The compressor works as it should and the solid power will anchor any band. If you are like me and have to work your ass off to buy gear then you don't have time for gimmicks and B.S. In my opinion Eden takes all the guess work out of choosing a pro bass amp. I cannot afford to gamble on expensive amp purchases, fortunateley Eden makes products that I can trust my career on. I have used the WT550 live and in rehearsals and everytime it shines without breaking a sweat, in short the WT550 gets it done. If you are shopping around for a new amp, get an Eden WT550! No regrets here.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice. I really like the WT550 as well. What cabs are you using?
  3. vacman

Mar 8, 2004
    portland, or
    I am a died in the wool SVT guy but I gave major gas for a WT head. They seem as warm as Ampeg but yet have this great clean presence to them. Flavor of the months come and go but Eden seems to consistanly make good quality products. And they are loud as hell which is always a plus!!! :bassist:
  4. Adrian, I am currently running the WT550 through a SWR Goliath II (8 ohm) cab. I plan on getting either a Bag End Q10BX-D cab or an Eden D410XLT cab to replace the SWR. I tried an Eden Traveler head through a Bag End Q10BX-D cab a few years ago and I've yet to hear any bass system that sounded that good since. For now the WT550 sounds great through the SWR cab!
  5. Vacman, your right! Many companies come and go but the great ones find their place and seem to get a respectable following. I find that Eden has enough warmth for the old school tones, but it also has the clarity for the modern hi-fi tones. The biggest selling point for me though was how well the bass sits in the mix with a band when the WT550 is used, from a working bassist's point of view I'd imagine that sells more amps for Eden than any famous endorser could.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    HEY! I am the resident Eden whore here. Go find another corner.
  7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I bought a 550 a few months ago, and I whole heartedly agree with everything you said. I've been running only one of my two 2-10XLT cabs with this head and I must say that she kicks butt (for small to medium size gigs). I can tell by the response that I'm getting with one cab that this head will be awsome with an Eden 4-10 cab. Which ever way you go, you'll be fine since this head will make just about any cab sound great.

AMJBASS Supporting Member

Jan 8, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Nice. The Goliath II is a killer cab. I think Steves music has the Bag End 2x10" in stock right now. Great sounding cabs. You may also want to check out the Euphonic Audio NL210. I am pretty sure Dave has one at Club bass. I have been blown away by the EA gear.
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    yeah, i've been trying to convince myself that i need to try something different after having been using eden stuff for the past several know, ashdown, aguilar, bbe, or whatnot...but i've gone and expanded my rig from using a metro standalone to adding a D115xlt, and then getting rid of the metro for a D410xlt...and my navigator should be here next week....eden rocks, yo :D
  10. I liked my WT550 so much that I made Gard buy one too!

11. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

that rocks, dude :D
  12. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Ditto, ditto. I briefly considered the pre/power amp thing, but what a hassle. It is all here in one small package. Sweet, clear, deep, with all the EQ you'd ever need. I am totally happy with mine. BTW, don't bother with tube swapping. The Ruby 12AX7 that comes with it sounds great. Just plug and play and get a big smile on your face.
  13. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Ferndale MI.
    Artist: Xotic Basses/AccuGroove
    I agree on the WT550. Smoking head, great tone and plenty of power for most gigs.
    But after playing through the Eden Time Traveler 330, I liked it over the WT550. I know I'll miss the extra headroom of the 550, but the tone of the TT330 spoke better for what I do.
    After being a pretty big SWR guy (SM400 & SM900) and owning a ton of other nice bass amps, including the WT800, I decided that a heavy rack with all kinds of junk wasn't the way for me to go anymore.
    When it was all said and done it was between the WT550, TT330, the Ampeg PortaBass and the AI Clarus.
    It was a close run between the WT550 and the TT330. Size and power you cannot go wrong with the WT550.
    Check out the Epifani Ultralight cabs if you can. My whole rig weighs in at 60lbs (TT330 & 310 Ultralight). And the Epifani 310 (UL or NYC) is a killer sounding cab.
  14. maxbass

May 22, 2002
    Milano Italy
    Another happy WT550 user here.
    For smaller gigs I take my D210XLT
    For rehearsal/medium-big gigs i was using a Goliath II and a Son of Bertha, and it was a killer.
    Now a single D410XLT 4 ohm has come to replace both SWR's, and it's even better!

Eden = great stuff
  15. AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    I have a WT800 and a Epifani 410UL.....

No need to change.
  16. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Woodboy, while I agree the Ruby tube does sound great, I've tried a few, and, IMHO, I found the Electro Harmonicx to sound the best.

I have an WT800, is there much difference in sound between that and the WT550?
  17. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Wt800 here too, I luv it!
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I nearly sold my Eden rig recently. I am very fortunate a deal did not come together right away. The Metro I own is awesome, as was the 410XLT I used to own.

I will inherent Munji's title when he dies. :D

19. dmband908

Mar 11, 2004
    I have heard the Eden D410 XTL's and they sound great......

Has anyone heard the new D410 XST's? They look monstrous....

20. Woodboy

Jun 9, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    gbenner, thanks for the input about the Electro Harmonix. I know it has received good reviews elsewhere, too. I didn't have a chance to compare the 800 to the 550. I did compare the 550 to a 400. The 550 was noticably deeper with a more "pure" sound and better control on the lowest notes. I had to turn down my treble roll-off circuit on my bass considerably with the 400, while I could run it on full with the 550.