Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The EH Polyphonic Octave Generator?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MaskedJackal, Oct 7, 2005.

1. This effect seems like it would have incredible potential. A lot of guitarists dig it because they can simply switch it on instead of buying a twelve-string. So could this also work for bass? The idea's tempting, although so is saving the dough for that custom 8-string Explorer I want..

Tplyons, maybe you've tried this effect?

2. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    I've tried it. Twice. The first time I owned it, I liked it, used it on one gig, then got tired of it and sold it. (I'm mercurial.) The second time I owned it, I tried it, hated how it sounded (thin), and sent it back the next day. I don't know if I changed or the units were different.

It tracks like a demon, though, and can play chords flawlessly.

Anyway, if I were you, and I thought I wanted an 8 string for more than a tune a night, I'd get the 8 string (Hembry!). If I was going to use it less than that, I'd just let it go.

(By the way, you could probably get a Hembry for just a little more than the POG. Talk to pklima about Hembry.)

3. Hmm. Thanks.

And believe me, I've asked Scott about it. Heck, I was going to have him be my senior project mentor- I'm building a bass. He unfortunately declined.

But yes, he makes great stuff. He could make me what I want for $750. Now if I only had the cash.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    My avatar precedes me :)

No, I haven't had a chance to try this particular unit. Currently being a college student, money's tight. I'm even cutting out a packet or two of ramen every week to have extra money in my gear budget ;) This is however, very high on my list of units to try.

5. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens

mmmmmmmm raman :smug: lol

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I just ordered one on ebay last night brand new. It also included an EH Big Muff pi all for $365.00, no shipping charges.

If you look up electro harmonix on ebay, it was on the forth page of eight pages of EH stuff. The auctioneer had 5 left as of last night. The seller was onlineguitar@earthlink.

I've been looking forward to getting the POG and have been toying with the idea of a Big Muff. So hopefully it will work out to my liking.

Good luck,

Bob

7. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    The thing that makes me want to get it is the sample JMJ did for EHX. Man that is awsome sounding stuff.

My only issue, well not even issue, but suggestion would be that they give a real time expression pedal. Then Digitech would be hurting. Because if it tracks that well for bass... mmmm pitch shifting.... You see where this is going. :D

8. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Whoa..

http://www.ehx.com/ehx2/Catalog/01_...ldal-Johnsen/01_Burritos_In_The_Dancehall.mp3

I see what you mean.

Joe

9. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    See what I mean?

Expression pedal and I'd buy today.

10. i played it once, didn't think a whole lot of it for the price...seemed really high for me (another poor college student)