1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The Electric Company

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Jun 27, 2007.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

'Kay,

So I have to coordinate a home inspection on a "bank owned" property. They're usually winterized so that the utilities don't cost the bank money and/or burn the house down or freeze the pipes.

I call the: Water Dept. "I need the water turned on at such & such address tomorrow @ 2:pM. Can you do it that quick?" Water dept: "No problem...be there at 1:30".

Gas Company: "Our service monitor is reading that the gas is on at the home at this time". I say; "Thank you".

Electric Co: We need a tax ID number, and articles of incorporation. We need a copy of your Real Estate license and an insurance bond".

I hang up...and call their "Public Relations Dept".

I vent my problem to them to simply turn on the juice for 24 hours so my Buyer can determine if the structure is sound and in working order. They are a bit nicer at Public Relations. But the techie they assign to me me is straight outta the "Cable Television Monopoly Manual" for dealing with the proletariat. All they did was talk about their 27 years of experince at the Power Co. and how I was "outta line" thinking I could ask them to "just do me a favor". I told them they sounded like the cable company. She said: "Well, that's your impression".

I said: "Yes it is. And you can treat me like this 'cause we have NO WHERE ELSE TO GO FOR ELECTRICITY".

SHE hung up on me.

She called back the next day and stated sheepishly that: "The power is on at the property, good luck with your inspection".

I wasn't even mean until they tried their stinkin' power trip on me. She called back after that again to "check up" on me. I think she knew she was outta line.

I hate utility/cable monopolies.

/rant

2. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    Sadly, they exist because the goverment not only allows it, but regulates it so that it happens on purpose. While monopolies in every other industry are strictly forbidden, they are expressly encouraged by various rules and regulations put forth by the big bureaucracy.

Not to mention all the unions which hold these sorts of monopolies by the balls, making the unions and union leaders the ultimate power in this case...more so than the government which is NOT how things should be.

Now, I'm not really talking politics, I'm just talking how things are. After all, it's smart discussion, not a frat house insider's guide to practical jokes. Just somethin imaginative to talk about. Don't ban me.

3. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Don't know where this is at, but I know, from working at the power company, local electric utilities cannot refuse service because they are a monopoly.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    [​IMG]

5. The Phone Company is going to dominate all of us.

(Let's see how many Old Timers get this reference)

6. This thread needs more Easy Reader:

[​IMG]

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 3, 2021