Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The elusive 'Hooky' sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by duhfig, Jun 14, 2003.

1. duhfig

duhfig

Jun 14, 2003
    Kansas City
    Hey Guys, just picked up my first electric Bass (I've had an acoustic for some time). I'm really trying for that smooth 'Hooky' sound and a friend suggested a chorus pedal. Any suggestions? Thanks for the input.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Chorus is definitely a big part of it. I've also never seen him play without a pick.

Hooky is one of my favorites. With regards to his sound, I do recall reading an interview where Hooky said it was Barney who encouraged him to try pedals etc to get a different sound.

3. duhfig

duhfig

Jun 14, 2003
    Kansas City
    Thanks Dave. Ya, no matter how cliche it sounds, Hooky is one of my faves too. I think you're right about the pick thing too. In all the videos that I've seen, he's always using a pick. Seems kinda contrary to using the chorus pedal though. Since the pedal seems to (my untrained ears) fill and smooth the sound out and the pick would make it sharper. I've been playing around with a friend of mines pedal and I'm totally gonna get one, just a matter of time.

4. It depends on how you set your chorus; set it one way, it will smooth and fill out your sound. Set it another, and it can make your sound much sharper - perfect for playing with a pick, if you want that sharp prominant tone.

IME, that sharper tone is easier to get out of chorus pedals than the nice smooth tone, and cheap choruses do the sharp tone much better than the smooth tone.

I use a DOD FX63 "Deep Freeze" chorus, it sounds more like the earlier New Order and Joy Division.

I know Mock Turtle Regulator started a great thread in Recordings about choruses, and Hooky in particular. Lemme go find it.

5. duhfig

duhfig

Jun 14, 2003
    Kansas City
    Parrot,

Thanks a bunch for the thread. Ask for a glass of water and get a river! So what pedal(s) would you recommend?

6. It's what this place is for Duhfig :)

Anyway, I've tried several versions of the standard Boss one (CEBs from several years), the DOD FX63 that I bought, a DOD FX62, a cheap Rak and a couple of older Ibanez Soundtank models.

A fairly bad selection, but that's what I get for living in an effects wasteland. Anyhow, the two DOD really stood out as giving the best sound for the lowest price - I paid £60 for mine new, which is what the shop was charging for a second-hand latest Boss. And that's in by far the best shop in the city. The new Ibanez Tonelock looks quite good too, but I've yet to try it.

However, these threads give far more information on much better choruses;

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=85847
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=72471

"Happy huntin'!" :D

7. duhfig

duhfig

Jun 14, 2003
    Kansas City
    I'll probably get a DOD or a Boss. I've been messing around with a Boss pedal a friend of mine lent me and I really enjoy the tone even though it's for guitars.