The elusive speaker combination...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tryxx, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Tryxx

Tryxx Sputnik Forums: Bass Mod

Jun 1, 2005
    Hurst, Texas.
    ...for someone with a general lack of experience.

Salutations, I'm Tryxx and this is my first Talkbass post, though I've owned a shirt since Christmas... (I'm also the same Tryxx from MX if many others venture over here.)

But on with the thread. Just a couple days ago I purchased a Mesa Boogie Walkabout head, an amp I know most everyone here is familiar with. I jumped all over the thing as it was $400 USD, new. So, unfortunately I do not own a cab for it yet. Given all this time to think about what I want, I've come to dwell on my concept of tone and what I'd like to implore, that's what got me in bit of a quagmire. (Way too much time to dwell on things.)

In essence, I want a setup that can yeild me impressive low and at the same time have the mids and highs. (I know it's everyone's dream :rolleyes: ) I sometimes find myself playing with my B detuned to A, and then 5 seconds later, fiddiling out chords around 15th fret G and C. I don't mean to be redundant, it's just worth considering.

My initial thoughts were as follows. 2x10 plus 1x15, 2x12, (two single cabinets or an one enclosure) or a Schroeder 21012. Feel free to enlighten me. :D I've not really played on much, in forms of tweaking the EQ and sound in what not. I'm simply going off of theory, thinking about what I've heard and how it would sound.. I'm just looking to be decently heard, if need be, and portable as I can. That's probably the first priority as I'm subject to driving 350 miles back and forth every so often...

I really have no definite price list in anyway shape or form, so I'd be happy to take just general information, I'll just be getting something when the time comes.
  2. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Good luck. Getting a low A to sound decent takes a lot of speaker. I'd look into a mix of a 15 and maybe some 10s. A 215 might sound decent on the low end but would probably lack the articulation you need for the high chordal stuff, unless its a really nice 215.

The problem is that most cabinets start rolloing off well above the 27hz fundemental of your low A, leaving it muted and muddy sounding.

3. Welcome to Talkbass! Hmmm, Ashdown do a 2 x 10 and 1 x 15 in a single enclosure......4 ohms, and about 600 watts power handling. Bit of a hefty beast to lug around though!
  4. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    Well, really. An accugroove would be what you want. But they cost money, alot of money.

I find the old Mesa Boogie Diesel 215 to be the, or one of the, best 2x15's out there. A Schroeder may also be good.
    Just remember (I don't know how much research you did before you 'jumped' on the amp) but the walkabouts have very touchy eq's, especially with bass. You don't want to be making that low A muddy and boomy.
    Best bet it to take the little thing out and try it with as many cabs as you can.