Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

The Eminem Show: Best Seller of 2002

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Boplicity, Dec 30, 2002.

1. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Just read in the paper that Marshall Mathers' "The Eminem Show" was the largest selling CD in 2002. I don't recall that we discussed it much here at Talkbass. I don't own it myself, but I am wondering if any of you do and if you might have ideas as to why it outsold every other other CD this year.

I like his song "Lose Yourself" from "Eight Mile," but really haven't followed his career much as I am not that big a fan of rap.

2. my band covered the start of "lose yourself" as a joke at a show. pretty funny. sadly, some people actually took it seriously.:eek:
    not much of a contribution to the thread, i know, but i just thouught i'd share that.:p

3. Boplicity

Must have been some Eminem fans in the audience. Who buys his stuff? What are the demographics of his audience?

4. white suburbanites who wanna be thugs. and the kids that do whatever mtv tells them.

5. A lot of "wigga's" who claim to have had a hard life seem to flock to Eminem as a god. There's a lot of them at my school.

I think he has talent and can actually rap pretty well (there are some videos of him doing so on the internet and on TV and whatnot) and I find his stuff to be pretty funny, but some of his lyrics get kinda on the border line. I know it's freedom of speech and all but yikes, there should be a line drawn somewhere.

He's a talented rapper who grew up with a rough childhood, but now sells millions of records, that's pretty impressive to me.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    to that I say phhhhhhtttt.

7. Yo Dogg. You dissin my boi?

j/k
    It hurt to say that.:(

8. Probably more varied than people would think. A woman I work with loves Eminem, and she's 38. As much as I try to dislike his music, it's catchy as hell. Whoever is laying down the grooves behind his raps is a genius. I'd buy the instrumental version of his album, if there was such a thing.

9. Swerve

Swerve

Nov 22, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    I do think Eminem has talent, just not my cup of tea.

10. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    In the UK, Robbie Williams' Escapology was the best selling album of the year 2002. A pretty deserving one IMHO.

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Well, the vast majority of popular recorded music - - is bought by 10-14 year olds. Apart from Christmas singles, you can almost gaurantee that anything that appears in the pop charts has been bought mostly by 14 year olds!!

I work in Marketing demographics!!

12. Bruce Lindfield

PS - when they "grow up" and reach 15, they obviously decide to get "serious" and start bothering us on TB!! ;)

13. Bruce Lindfield

PPS - I hate Eminem and can find no redeeming features in his music! Boring "standard" rhythms and no harmonic interest whatsoever!

I don't really hear lyrics when I'm listening to music and all I hear when one of his things comes on TV or Radio, is this prolonged whine!! :mad:

14. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    It's not the 10-14 yr olds that make up album sales, they buy the singles. The singles chart has become a kids thing, like you say. However it's the albums that really sell. Albums sell far more CDs than singles, I believe (in this country at least, I can't speak for the US) - and albums stay on the album chart for much longer. In the top 20 albums of this year, you've got Robbie's "Escapology" at no. 1 (probably not mostly 10-14 yr olds), and stuff like Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me", David Gray's "A New Day At Midnight", Queen's Greatest Hits 1 & 2, Elton John's Greatest Hits. These are not the sort of things 10-14 yr olds tend to buy so much. You've got yer Will Young, Atomic Kitten, Blue and Westlife in there too - these albums are probably largely bought by the younger generation i.e. teenagers, people in early 20s.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Here's a quote from a "Media Kit" guide for advertisers, who want to target young teenagers :

"Still, the biggest thing young artists have going for them may be sheer demographics. According to American Demographic magazine, there are almost 31 million teenagers in the United States today, the biggest teenage population since the peak of the baby boom. By 2010, it's estimated there will be a record 35 million American teens. Demographers have a name for this population explosion: the much-touted Generation Y, or the Echo Boom.

The sound of the Echos, other than the ringing of cash registers, is music. Figures, such as those released by Northbrook, Ill.-based Teenage Research Unlimited, show today's teens to be one of the richest and most consumer-oriented generations in history. In 1998, teenagers spent $141 billion of their own and their parents' money, according to a new study by the research group. Teen spending projections for last year were estimated to have grown to $153 billion.

It's not all spent on teen-pop music, either. "Now we have the more harmless teen-pop artists coexisting peacefully on the charts with harder-edged groups like Limp Bizkit and Eminem. Our readers love 'N Sync and Eminem," notes Teen People's Helligar. "Kids are much less confined to specific genres today."

16. Boplicity

I feel the same way and I am 59. Like you, I wish there were instrumental Eminen versions. But that said, I do like the words to "Lose Yourself." Who knew M-in-M could write an inspirational song? Gotta admit though, that some of his women hating songs and gay-bashing turm me off.

I haven't listened to his best-selling album, so I don't know if he has reformed. I read he has returned to his wife, but is still estranged from his mother. One other thing, it must be hard to retain the bad-boy, trailer park, disadvantaged childhood image when one is a multi-millionaire.

As for who does the grooves behind his raps. Isn't it Dr. Dre and his team?

17. Boplicity

Bruce, thanks for that interesting and informative material about today's teenagers. Actually I envy them a bit. They appear to have a lot more financial clout than I do, plus they look better too.
    I wish I could be one, but still know all I have learned from nearly sixty years of experience. That would be cool. :)

18. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    more like controversy sells. take a look around.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Well, most companies view singles as a "loss leader" or promotional tool, for reaching and expanding their key markets.

They are not looking to make huge profits out of singles but to "hook" their intended audience - they are targeting the "floating voters" who have spare cash and haven't made up their mind about what they like.

Singles are undoubtedly aimed at the 8-15 year old market, because this is where you get most value out of singles as a promotional tool.

Older people already know what they like and resist marketing in the area of "taste".

So - the big breakthrough for Eminem as was highlighted in the article I copied above, is that he is now able - by having released quite afew successful singles - to reach the 8-15 market who will like both N' Sync and Eminem and see no difference.

If Eminem was going for real "cred" with older audiences he wouldn't bother to release singles at all - whereas the fact that he always has one out, confirms that he is doing well with the lower end of the teeny market and their vast amounts of cash - given to them by their parents!! :rolleyes:

20. Bruce Lindfield

Well, I think that they like thinking they are being "rebellious" - which to me seems to be about liking anything their parents' generation hates - almost by definition : "crap" !! :D