1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The end is nigh. We are all out of a job and obsolete.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by thabassmon, Aug 12, 2019.

1. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Good God, next thing you know bass players will be using an octave up pedal.

konfyouzd, Wisebass, FerK and 3 others like this.
  2. socialleper

socialleper Bringer of doom and top shelf beer Supporting Member

May 31, 2009
    Canyon Country, CA
    No pedal can teach a guitar player about groove.

crabfunk, Danny C, konfyouzd and 9 others like this.
  3. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    For the price of that pedal, that guitarist could buy a Squier P bass and record the real thing.

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    I have an idiot guitarist I work with now and then who bought something similar. He used it with a trio with no bass at an outdoor show. He sounded like cr*p and didn’t even know it. Sheesh. Guitarists! :bored:

Wisebass, Mili and thabassmon like this.
  5. Swampish

Swampish

Dec 31, 2015
    Quebec, Canada
    Yeah, a couple of decent tones in there, but you can still hear the guitar gauge strings coming through, those will never be confused with a 45-105 set of even the crappiest bass strings and the bass tone up high. Really massive lack of balls to the sound and, yes, the guitarist trying to play bass always comes through since they are so frustrated not to be soloing all the time! Someone mentioned that it would be a good tool for an artist putting together all of the tracks themselves, but somebody else mentioned, why not just buy a cheap bass and use that instead? Would be more interested in buying the SansAmp YYZ pedal and go on a Geddy mission!

FugaziBomb and Mili like this.
  6. The Bass Clef

The Bass Clef “the brian” Gold Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2010
    Southern California
    It’s not like it’s an actual “bass machine” that plays a bassline automatically so the guitarist can play over it (like the Sdrum pedal that automatically does drums fills and changes the beat up for choruses and bridges at the press of the button). This is just a pedal that makes a guitar sort of sound like a crappy bass, at the cost of losing the guitar. Lame.

Mili, dxb and alaskaleftybass like this.
  7. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    electroharmonix has a whole line of the 9 series pedals … they have cool demos on youtube, but when you use one in real life they come up lacking. I tried using one with a band a couple of times … it didn't work out well

Electro-Harmonix

The Owl likes this.
  8. nnnnnn

nnnnnn

Oct 27, 2018
    Australia
    Are they authentic vintage Fender bridges?

9. This is like the 47th time I’ve been replaced. I’m beginning to think it’s not really gonna happen.

chuckNC, Holdsg, jamro217 and 3 others like this.
  10. N4860

N4860

Mar 28, 2017
    Kitchener
    Well upright and fretless players definitely don't have to worry. I did think the synth sound was cool and useable but not much else.

The Owl likes this.
  11. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    That brief rendition of Rapper's Delight gave me a cyst in my ovaries. And I'm a guy

12. Mili

Mili

Nov 14, 2015
    Earth
    That's a toy...:D
    Playing Bass needs completely different approach.

Danny C, eJake and The Owl like this.
  13. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Post this same video over on the telecaster forum and see what the response is. 1000s of guitar players will think they can pay one less bandmember...

14. All we need now is a pedal to replace a guitarist and we won't need anyone up on stage anymore!

15. Kevan Campbell

Kevan Campbell Bergantino Artist, Vibe9 IEM Artist Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I sincerely doubt that bassists are going to find themselves losing gigs to this pedal. It’s a fun idea for guitarists wanting to loop bass parts to jam over, but I for one don’t see this going over well in a live setting or in a real studio.

16. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I've seen all sorts of combos on the Atlanta scene, everything from singer/drummer/electronics to singer/guitarist/bassist/keys/drum machine to rapper/producer-with-drum-machine-hanging-around-his-neck to singer holding a guitar to just singer. (not counting full rhythm section & possibly horn section & possibly extra background singer layouts, mind you; I'm talking attempts to minimize)

This will be popular with guitarists who like loop pedals and with singer-songwriter types who hate innovation but want to have something a little different at the acoustic showcase. And with weirdos who really like experimenting, a group among which I'm counted (and thinking what this could do on extended-range bass, baritone guitar, and limited-voice synthesizers among other things).

jamro217 likes this.
  17. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

Or...he could have been thinking about Chic’s “Good Times”; either way, it’s one of the all time wicked bass lines; it may sound simple, but there’s plenty in it to trip you up(if you were setting about to play it correctly). No “Good Times”, no “Another One Bites The Dust”.
    The discussion was started a few days ago...
    New EHX Bass9 Bass Machine
    My take(post #16)was along the lines of...
    [​IMG]
    Not going to loose sleep. All of the '...9' series(and I have most of the keyboard models)require you to alter your playing technique to the point that the new toy fascination will fall by the wayside shortly, or else you have to become totally committed to the pedal. This, I suspect, will be no different. It will be the fad gadget for a month or two, and then they'll be all over Reverb, Craigs, EBay, etc. used when guitarists get bored with it. Guit9? Wasn't that what the Line 6 Variax was all about? While certain models are still around, it's not like those changed the game.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Squittolo and lancimouspitt like this.
  18. TheDayMan

TheDayMan Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2015
    Seattle
    A similar, but opposite, bass version would be cool. Different options up an octave instead of down. Also keep the fretless and bowed settings with no octave change, cuz those sound awesome.

19. BeefPie84

BeefPie84

Mar 29, 2019
    I will never buy or own an electro-harmonix pedal again. I'm not joking. This is how I'm able to protest.

20. Adienn7

Adienn7

Jan 26, 2007
    That would be fun on bass.. For octave effects.