1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The end is nigh. We are all out of a job and obsolete.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by thabassmon, Aug 12, 2019.

1. fretter

fretter

May 24, 2012
    PA
    A versatile box. What's not to like?!

Wisebass and The Rage like this.
  2. You'l still need a bass amp. For that matter, you'l still need a bass player. it's cheesy.

The Owl likes this.
  3. FugaziBomb

FugaziBomb

Jun 5, 2017
    I want to plug my Jazz Bass into it while using the Jazz Bass setting to see if it sounds any more like a Jazz Bass then the Jazz Bass does all by itself. I am worried such experiments may tear holes in the fabric of space time, though...

shirky, The Owl and Winslow like this.
  4. Good points. I play both, but I am primarily a guitar player. The similarity ends with the fact that you have strings and a fretboard. The fretting hand agility will get most guitar players by, but those bass strings are HEAVY. I like to think I handle the bass guitar properly, and in doing so, I realize the bass and the guitar approach a song at entirely different angles and are typically doing completely different things. My experience is that if you know how to play the song on guitar, you don’t know how the bass line goes. Also, I consider myself a very tight rhythm player, but that tightness only approaches how tight the bass line has to be in terms of locking in on the groove. Different animals, but I think a good guitar player has more than a leg up in the hand dexterity skills needed to be good on bass, if they choose to pursue the bass properly.

5. FINALLY! I don't have to worry about the constant barrage of calls asking me to play bass!

LoL - I'd use one of those myself on stage if I was trying to handle multiple instruments with quick changes in songs.... I sold my doubleneck because I'm just too old for suck a huge monster instrument, and I'd grab this for the same purpose. But then I really prefer roland guitar modelling systems - they have been around for many years and work incredibly well.

But anyone who would use this box INSTEAD of hiring a real bassist - well, they're not doing music that's interesting to me anyhow.

6. b_carville

b_carville

Jun 26, 2008
    Electro Harmonix makes pedals that make your guitar sound like various keyboards.
    I've seen players use them.They can't replace a keyboard player. I expect this to go the same way.

7. Don't know how much it may cost but, if it has to be used by a guitarist in his home-studio to quickly record some ideas (clearly, it doesn't make sense to use it live), then, probably with the same amount of money, a guitarist can buy a Squier P-bass and get a better tone through a virtual amp (I use Garageband, so for me there wouldn't be any problems) .. at that point, it's all in his/her fingers ... would they stretch enough for a real bass?

Mactatio likes this.
  8. Mactatio

Mactatio

Jul 31, 2019
    I personally don't see the appeal in this. Like Gianni above said, you can get a cheap bass for the same price if you really want a bass sound.

Also, those "fretless" simulators always make me chuckle.

9. higain617

higain617

Sep 12, 2013
    WA
    So you didn’t live through the 80’s?

10. Medicine Man

Medicine Man

Apr 10, 2015
    none
    Cool for looper guys, maybe. Real looper cats like that guy from El Ten Eleven use stuff like a double neck and a fretless Wal it seems.

11. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Reaching back a bit for this one, but what the heck... :D

[​IMG]

thabassmon and FugaziBomb like this.
  12. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    It’s not going to replace bass players but could be a cool effect for doing some cool back and forth stuff. It’s basically an octaver and those have been around.

13. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    They may probably sell some of these.

But, overall, the general concept of replacing human beings with computers to play music is a business fail of epic proportions, indicating a nearly complete lack of understanding of the art form. Music is played by musicians.

It is true that clubs are increasingly under budget pressure; and a solo guitarist who can “sound like a band” is an attractive cost option. The problem is that they don’t actually sound like a band.

As players, we need to keep improving our craft. Times are tough, gigs are fewer. You have to first and foremost be in it for the passion. Entertainment as an occupation is a pyramid, with a scant few at the top earning most of the value, and the rest groveling to pay costs. Stay focused on your craft.

14. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    One of the basses sounded like a classic DX synth bass ..... The rest could be useful for working variety players....... I wonder if Electro Harmonix has considered the possibility of a similar box for working bassists in variety and function type bands?

shirky and yodedude2 like this.
  15. Plucky The Bassist

Plucky The Bassist ZOMG! I'm back from the dead! Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, at MOST I could see this being semi-useful in a recording setting where they have some heavy coloring in the DAW for bass via plugins to give it a more natural sound or feel, but this is a very processed sound and therefore doesn't come off very natural, more like everyone has said a guitar using a patch.

Not bad for what it is, but sampling drums is a different animal from pitch-shifting an analog signal. I wouldn't count on this even selling that well lol

16. My guitarist wife wants one!

Generally a neat effects box
    Like most others, some cheesy stuff too

In 20 years A I will replace need for humans anyhow !

17. John6

John6

Jul 9, 2019
    Central Ohio
    they will always sound like a guitarist playing bass because they do not understand what the bass players job is.

funkinbottom and Kukulkan61 like this.
  18. In my experience, the Better guitarists I’ve worked with have been generally better musicians ; theory chord voicing scales and speed but they play bass
    ... like a guitarist.... don’t seem to have our “feel”.

konfyouzd likes this.
  19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    No way, it can’t play with feeling and it can’t do bass face...

zon6c-f likes this.
  20. funkinbottom

funkinbottom Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2006
    Northern CA.
    I agree with others. Sounds OK, but still sounds like a guitarist attempting to sound like a bassist.

Wisebass and zon6c-f like this.