1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The end of my Ashdown Saga

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Mar 26, 2006.

1. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I dont believe that. otherwise i wouldnt have been gigging for the last 2 years with a MAG 300 C-115
    If you have to push them that hard then you didnt get one loud enough. you cant blame Ashdown.

2. chris-piano:

I have been using Ashdown Combos, both with extension cabs and as stand alone units at rehearsals and smaller gigs, for over 6 years and I have NEVER experienced the problems you refer to.

Just thought I would mention that in the interests of fairness.:)

3. I hear you gents, im glad its worked out for you, im probably very demanding with the gear i have and cheaped out a bit when i should have spent 2grand from the outset.

Im not lying that's for sure and you can listen to the stuff my band does to hear the ashdown and all of that, i do like the sound

However those are my experinces. I do not mean any harm to any of you lovely people x

4. chris-piano:

No offence taken, although I have SERIOUS doubt that you are any more "demanding" of your gear than I am of mine.;) ;)

5. that sounds like you took offence!!!
    I didnt mean that 'i am more demanding than you and awesome as hell' haha!

simply that there has to be a reason that none of these combos cut it with my instrument rig.

I use a 6 string bass with the occasional overdrive- so thats a whole load of tones and frequencies to start with. In the same set I'll switch to a 5 tring upright which is set up to be bowed and plucked, even more frequencies- especially low ones. Moving from distorted highs to plucked and bowed upright B strings in the same set WILL kill speakers dead!

this is why 300watts and below is a silly level to try and compete with a drummer at, particularly for solos.

6. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    But chris, why did you say the Combo's are rubbish if you know that they arent up to this?
    Thats like saying cups are rubbish because they cant hold a pint of larger. you wouldnt expect them to.
    I do agree with your about the 300wats not keeping up but what about the ABM575 EVOII combo? thats still a combo.

7. I'm sorry, but I STILL refuse to be offended.:D :D :D

I am, however, very impressed by your versatility. I just play 4 string electric bass through my Ashdown rig.:smug: :smug:

8. better to play a 4string well than to be rubbish at everything :D

I only knew the combos to not work out after i gave them a whirl sadly, this was before i purchased the 300! The tone is still wonderful and im sure the upper range would be great too, but I would live in eternal fear of something blowing up- the combos I ran through were never the 500, apologies for not being more specific there-- as you can see elsewhere in this amp forum I'm in the process of losing 2grand on a new rig, so im presently living in terror and im a little jumpy!

9. better to play a 4string well than to be rubbish at everything :D

I only knew the combos to not work out after i gave them a whirl sadly, this was before i purchased the 300! The tone is still wonderful and im sure the upper range would be great too, but I would live in eternal fear of something blowing up- the combos I ran through were never the 500, apologies for not being more specific there-- as you can see elsewhere in this amp forum I'm in the process of losing 2grand on a new rig, so im presently living in terror and im a little jumpy!

actually head on over there and give me advice!

10. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Chris, i know how you feel. i got the ABM300 head to replace my MAG300 and before that never went above 1 o'clock on the master. when i got the ABM i felt it was quieter and found i had to have the master up a bit more and was worried about pushing it too much. im sure it was just down to the different EQ but i got a Schroeder 1210 to help with the loudness. it didnt really work out so i up to that point i had spent £1150 just to get me back to the volume of my £350 MAG300. now i dont like the ABM so got rid of it and lost over half the cost and paid an extra £250 for a MB SA450. If i had knowen in the first place i would have got the 500watt ABM head but at the time i thought it was to expensive. im happy now (and i can sell the MAG once its fixed) but im very nervious about gear now. Before i didnt even think about what the Ashdowns sounded like before i got them. they were small so i got them.

11. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I've had Ashdown stuff in the past and really liked it. Recently I decided to give them another go. I picked up a used ABM-300 and around the same time I also traded a bass for a Mesa Walkabout (which I had also owned in the past). Long story short, I ended up keeping the Mesa which I didn't think would happen. I agree that the Ashdown didn't sound very loud. It did, however, put out much more powerful lows than the Mesa. The Mesa has more of a midrange emphasis that no doubt contributed to the apparent volume. I just found myself really cranking the mids on the Ashdown to get the tone I wanted. I do think that with the right cabs the Ashdown would work very well. Maybe a shallow or sealed design.

12. Interesting.:meh: :meh:

I used to use the ABM range but eventually came to the conclusion that all the tone-shaping capability was "surplus to my requirements" in as much as ALL my F.O.H. sound was arriving via my SABDDI to the PA and my rig was, essentially, an on-stage monitor only. I therefore "downgraded" to the Mag range and ended up with my current rig and cash. :smug: :smug:

In terms of volumes/settings, I have never done a gig where my amp was set anything higher than Input Level at 3 o'clock and Output Level at 10 o'clock and, believe me, my band is NOT quiet.:D :D

13. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've been using Ashdown since the start of the company and I have never had the problems that some have described I continue to use various Ashdown Amps,combos,cabs and I play music from Avantgarde,Funk,Rock,Fusion,pop R&B and various forms of Jazz,etc.and most of this music is played at a very intense level and I have run my sub contra Basses,8(non doubled),12,15 string Basses as well as standard tuned Basses and various Acoustic and electric uprights and the Ashdown product cuts it .but like any product Ashdown is not for everybody I love the Ashdown tone(and Ashdown makes some of the most versatile Bass related products on the market).

p.s.

and this comment is not geared at any one in particular
    but there are a lot of Bass players out there who just don't know how to run their Bass rigs and they have no clue what it takes to get at least a basically decent tone out of their rig and when this happens they blame the brand.

14. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    just wanted to clarify MY situation.
    I can only use one small cab because of lack of room in our cars. so for me i needed a louder amp rather than getting another cab. The 1210 can put out a lot of mid and i didnt like that much but by using the EQ on the ABM i could get rid of the mid's a bit but that would reduce the output a bit as well so i really sholud have gotten a louder ABM but that was out of my price range.
    The MAG's and ABM's sound different and i liked the MAG sound. it may have been that the low on the MAG is set at 100hz i believe and this freq is not availible on the ABM so i missed the slight "boom" i got from the MAG.
    Now i have the MB and i love the tone, and thats almost using a flat EQ. plus the MB has adjustments at 100hz and i like that, it gives the sound a bit of authority IMHO. I dont think i could get the same tone out of the ABM plus i found that although the ABM has a lot of EQ i didnt find it made a huge difference to the tone out front once the band were playing toether.
    Just my thoughts though and each to his/her own.

15. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I'm glad to hear that they took care of you, I unfortunately was not able to be helped out. I got the runaround from the same distribution center.

16. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    I'll also add that my reasoning for going another route was solely based on my current tone preference. Like I said, I really dug the Ashdown stuff in the past. They have a big, powerful and warm sound which I do like. They also have great direct customer service (I've never dealt with distributors) and I never had any quality issues with them.

I had an older made-in-England EB combo that sounded killer. A great old-school rock tone. I wish I kept that around. IMO, my Mesa is more reminiscent of that tone than the AMB line.

I'm no pro and my personal limitation is that my skill doesn't quite overcome the gear I play on. I'm not yet one of those guys with a signature tone that comes through no matter what gear he's using. I just look to plug in to something and sound as good as I reasonably can.

17. Indeedly doodly, its lucky nobody is really doing this here though, mostly just TBers being nervous about using ashdowns through shakey past experiences.

My rig was underpowered for what i wanted and the ABM 300 seems to be that way as davey concurred.

The 900 is a popular rig and lots of very impressive people use it for sure, the Ashdown tone is great but it seems theres a little discomfort with the lower ABM range. Im assuming your rig is flexible and uses various different heads/cabs for different situations jauqo? Oh for the cash to be able to do that!

SOOOOOOO!!! onto the constructive part, if you like the general tone of an ashdown but want more power for your buck where do you go?

18. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Chris
    what about getting a power amp? i was going to go the same route but decided i didnt want to carry one around as well as the ABM.

19. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Thats a good question,I personaly can't think of anything that can give you the Ashdown tone,other than Ashdown itself.

20. I suck!