1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The end of my Ashdown Saga

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pablomigraine, Mar 26, 2006.

1. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I had the light bulb behind my meter go in my old MAG series combo. I email to inquire about what I neede to replace it (figured Radio Shack would have it). Ashdown UK mailed me 2 bulbs, a new meter and a knob I also mentioned loosing.... FOR FREE! For a combo I made clear was bought used from eBay

2. haha!!! well at least the atmosphere was alleviated somewhat!

I did consider poweramps actually, thats an awesome suggestion though. I think for me it's more the cabs that im not a huge fan of and the head doesnt quite give me everything i need from it, tone questions aside. If i kept it it would be for more warm plectrum stuff i think, a good acoustic project sound.

I'm probably going back to Trace, who i loved when i had my 715. It had a slightly more 'live' and modern edge to it, the onboard compression was exceptional too.

JAUQO im glad youve found our ideal rig partner! I imagine I'll take a while yet to find mine, thats some awesome diversity you have going on there! Im assuming you're a professional/session chap, i just hope the people at ashdown have been accommodating enough to give you some kind of endorsment!

3. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

I use Ashdown for about 90% of what I do and I do sessions,sideman work,my own Band projects and production and I've been endorsing Ashdown since early 97 and they treat me like a king.

4. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Interesting to hear that Fender pulled big dog tactics.

I've always liked the sound of Ashdown head and preamps and (not what I'm after but definitely have a great default character), and like their suboctaver circuit, but haven't heard the cabs.

5. Goodness me! I came across this on their site, how awesome!

http://ashdownamps.com/artists/detail.asp?ID=50

One thing ive noted on my price-hunting travels is that ashdowns are significantly cheaper than anyone else!

I can't pretend that the thought of an ABM-900 powering an 8x10, a 4x10 and a 1x15 isnt tempting in some small way, although possibly a danger to the health of my lower back.

I'll get around to trying it out jauqo, you're a good ambassador. I'm off to Japan for a tour and I'll be renting out there so I definately dont want my amp flashing when i play a low B on my NS CR5 anymore! What rigs do you use to make sure your uprights are heard over the drums for bow and pizz passages? Do you ever have issues with the speakers or heads?

More specifically- ABM 900 or the pre/power amp combos they have, which floats your boat and why?

how useful to have a chap as knowledgable and involved with the brand as yourself around the place!

6. ah i think i misunderstood the subcontrabass concept earlier, its got nowt to do with double basses! almost certainly the bowing that blows speakers for me.

7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Thanks for the compliment(s)I use a 5 string electric EUB and it has a High C string and on occasion I use a 210 500wt combo on it.I don't use the Ashdown 900's at least not now and again with the various amps,power amps and cab's I'm sure if you took the time and really checked out what all there is that Ashdown offers you will find the right Ashdown rig for you and your needs.I'm waiting on an Ashdown 21028(2 10's and 2 8's)Neo cab that should be pretty interesting.I have never had any issues with Ashdown cabs and only the minor occurence of a blown vu meter bulb(in one of my combo's that I've been using since 97) and thats it in all the years of using Ashdown(and that happened just a couple of weeks ago and it was taken care in no time.

As far as my Sub contra bass concept goes(Low C# F# B E)it can be brutal on a cab if you don't watch the sensitivity of the speakers movement.

8. Mm i can well imagine this is going to be a long process...I'll have to start paying rent in the bass centre.

Im still amazed that you're running your upright through a combo!!! is it a 3/4 or a 34" upright?

Maybe it's just time i fired our drummer....

9. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    The upright that I use is a 3/4 and I use a Ergo EUB

http://ergoinstruments.com/

10. HAHA!

unbelievable Ive turned this thread into a shopping with jauqo thread.

Great tone on your videos by the way, have you got any extra compression running through your amp for any of that?

11. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

In all honesty I never use compression when I record or play live(I don't need it)engineers don't even ask me to use it and during mixing and mastering I rarely if at all use it on my Bass and when I do(during mixing and mastering)it is very very subtle.

12. Alpha Waves

Alpha Waves

Mar 4, 2006
    ashdown have brilliant customer support, mine went wrong, i rang the shop and they picked it up the next day, two days later it was back on my doorstep in perfect condition.

still would have been better if i didnt have to use the customer support

13. Fawkes007

Fawkes007

Sep 13, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    The cabs are rock solid. I have two 2x10's. They are heavy (65 pounds each) but, man, what a punchy sound!

As for Fender, well, a lot of my fans on this site know what I have to say about their corporate direction. They are trying to be the GM of the musical instrument manufacturing world, utilizing similar strong arm tactics. Ashdown, which has a lot of high profile endorsers, is certainly a threat to their Fender and SWR bass amp lines, so I am not at all surprised that they tried to "influence" distributors...which, of course, is a form of legalized extortion.

Fender, unfortunately, has turned into an EVIL corporation.