The end of Phish!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chrisb1024, May 25, 2004.

1. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    if any one cares phish has decided to really call it quits
    anyone have any feelings on this issue??

Last Friday night, I got together with Mike, Page and Fish to talk openly about the strong feelings I've been having that Phish has run its course and that we should end it now while it's still on a high note. Once we started talking, it quickly became apparent that the other guys' feelings, while not all the same as mine, were similar in many ways -- most importantly, that we all love and respect Phish and the Phish audience far too much to stand by and allow it to drag on beyond the point of vibrancy and health. We don't want to become caricatures of ourselves, or worse yet, a nostalgia act. By the end of the meeting, we realized that after almost twenty-one years together we were faced with the opportunity to graciously step away in unison, as a group, united in our friendship and our feelings of gratitude.

So Coventry will be the final Phish show. We are proud and thrilled that it will be in our home state of Vermont. We're also excited for the June and August shows, our last tour together. For the sake of clarity, I should say that this is not like the hiatus, which was our last attempt to revitalize ourselves. We're done. It's been an amazing and incredible journey. We thank you all for the love and support that you've shown us.

-- Trey Anastasio
  2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
  3. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too
    I'm a fan of those 4 guys together, the solo stuff is a real let down.

It wont last, you'll see, I give it 2-3 yrs.
  4. This is by far one of the saddest days of my life...I'm a HUGE phishhead...needless to say I will be in VT for the last show!!!

long live the Phab Phour!!!!!!!!
  5. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

oh no you didn't. :mad: :scowl:

6. more bands should call it quits like this. you don't need to drag it out until you're just going through the motions and not doing anything decent. aerosmith, rolling stones, limp bizkit etc.

i'm just worried that all the hippies are gonna be wandering the streets with no direction.

and i can not stand phish. never could.
  7. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
    seeing i started this post i will comment, phish was my life been inside of almost 100 shows been to well over 100.. met my wife while on summer tour 98 in san fran at the bueno vista park on haight st between shows...almost every good memory i have has something to do with phish (i didn't start to play bass because of mike but he is the reason i didn't quit)...stating this i am actually glad it is over, there past few albums were nothing i would listen to on purpose. forget about them for a minute and think about me, phish was my life i can never go back there and if i could they are totally diferent now. i guess it hurts. so now that it is over i can move on
  8. after jerry garcia died, and before he realized he could follow phish, my hippy cousin joe joined something called a "traveling kitchen"
    i'm not sure what they did, but it had something to do with a campstove, incense, mushrooms, soy beans and a VW bus.
  9. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
  10. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    I'm saddened by this. I'm a big Phish fan. Yet I've never been to a show, and now probably won't ever. I do, however, feel that they will go all out with this tour and make it one to remember. They're not ones to go out without a bang.
  11. chrisb1024

chrisb1024 Guest

Mar 18, 2003
    Nashua, NH
  12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Oh well, there's always Widespread bathing required in order to see one of their shows!
  13. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    If only it were Metallica.........
  14. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Truth be told (and I am a LONNNNG time Phish head), they just have not been very good since they returned from hiatus. Their shows have been lackluster, Trey is supposedly strung out on smack (or so the rumor has it - take it for what it's worth) and their setlists have been pretty p___-poor.

I love that band to death, but when it's time to go, it's time to go. Trey will carry on with his band, which isn't really that interesting, Page will continue as the reluctant leader of Vida Blue, Fish will jump from project to project and Mike will continue making movies.

The earth will spin, the smoke will clear and many Phish Heads will either jump to moe., SCI or slog their way through tired Dead redux shows. Others will do as I am doing, shrug their shoulders and continue listening to God-knows how many genres they listen to.

It was a great run that probably should've ended in 2000, sorry to say.
  15. i concur.
  16. ****.. Sonic Youth at Lollapalooza, or Phish at a final show?
  17. BustinJustin

BustinJustin banned

Sep 12, 2003
    NYC, LI too

Sonic Youth, now thats a band that has run their corse. No contest... phish
  18. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've been listening to Phish since about '93. Not a hardcore fan by any measure, not even close, but I have enjoyed and respected the band for the past eleven years. I hope the best for each of them. :)
  19. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    Do you think Moe will become the next Phish? As big?
  20. Probably pretty close.