The End of Smug, or a New Era?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Nov 20, 2002.

1. So I was fooling around with my new digital camera and I took a couple of pictures of myself. What I found was disheartening: my beard, after a year of cultivation and careful trimming, still looks thin and scraggly in front. So, I decided to shave it.

2. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You should be practicing.

Aren't you still having problems with harmonic minor?

3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    you look like a 14 year old with hairy shoulders!
    :eek: ;)
  4. look so sad without your beard.:(
    Anyway, congradulations!! I'm sure I'm on your ignore list, and you still took a peek at my post. We're really making progress here I think.
  5. I spent the last two nights writing a not especially coherent 35-page draft of an essay on Scott LaFaro for my jazz history class. When I have some more energy, I'll hit the shed.
  6. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I like the goatee... I thought it looked pretty good... but thats just me..
  7. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I think you looked better with the goatee too. JMO
  8. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Both ways look good. With the goatee you look younger.
  9. Before pic: yay!

After pic: AHH!!! :eek:
  10. I had that kind of shock when I shaved my head, It went from being a full 6 inches long to being COMPLETELY gone. You'll get used to it, and so will everyone else.
  11. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I just saw LaFaro's bass at a shop in NYC...;)
  12. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I like it. Go on a mission.
  13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Must be something in the air, I shaved mine yesterday. You do get used to it. You'll no doubt here all the inane comments like: "You shaved!" and the classic: "What happened to your beard?" or the extra witty "There's something different about your facial hair, but I can't place it!"

Good Luck!
  14. masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    You're smugness went down the sink with the beard. Put more smug on your mug!!!
  15. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    Word. I'm 19, but I know I look like I'm probably about 14. But c'mon, man. You look like a 12 year old! Grow the goat! :D
  16. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Obey the facial hair. Though, given that, I should be as smug if not smugger than Pete. (They call me Sasquatch for a reason!)
  17. Well, FWIW I grew a beard in my late teens (19-20) and was less than satisfied after 6 months and shaved it off. When I next grew it (10 years later) it came in full in just a few weeks.

SO what was the point of this story? I don't remember......:oops:

PS - In order to requalify for smug self-satisfaction I'm afraid you'll have to take another pic.
  18. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Just a few more months of my private all boys Catholic high school and then you will all be piut to shame by my mighty facial hair!

Being tied for first in a beard growing competition at an all boys school of around 1300 aint half bad!

Oh yeah, and the hair on the top of my head will grow free!

19. Well, nothing's more smug than a frat rat, which is what I look like in this pic and in my new avatar...