1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

The End of the Female Bassist

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BigDanT, Feb 13, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BigDanT

BigDanT Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I thought this was a pretty relevant read. Might be particularly timely here in light of some of the recent gender-related threads that have popped up.

Bottom line-- If you got the Funk, it shouldn't matter if you're a man, woman, kid, white, black or purple.

An Open Letter: The End of the "Female Bassist": An Open Letter: The End of the "Female Bassist" | Reverb

2. Danomo

Danomo Guest

Apr 25, 2013
  3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    15 years ago, when Hole was looking for a female bassist, it was fine. When Jeff Beck or David Bowie wanted a female bassist, it was fine. When lots of women bands advertise on Craigslist for a female bassist, it's fine. When a girl gets a gig in place of a guy who plays better than her because she's hot, it's fine.

I have no issues whatsoever playing with women musicians, and have played with many. My favorite drummer to play with right now is a woman. The 2 bandleaders I've made the most money with, were women.

But this PC stuff annoys me to no end. It's IMO causing trouble and/or negativity, where there is no trouble or negativity.

4. I'm very open and accepting of anything that doesn't conform to cultural 'norms'. However - I'm at a point that I think the hypersensitivity needs to go away. Can't we all just learn and act like a somewhat advanced species?

5. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    jd56hawk, andruca, Esoge and 4 others like this.
  6. BigDanT

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I understand your point but there are a lot of bands that have or want a "look". And will hire for that "look". I remember when I was playing out a lot in the 80s and SO many bands would hire a dude with long hair who was mediocre over a dude "like me" with a crew cut who was better. Plenty of ads back then read "heavy metal look".

No way Geddy or Lemmy would have made the cut if Duran Duran was hiring to replace JT.

Also, just a guess but a lot of females looking for a gig might put that little fact in their ads because they don't want to waste time with bands who might not consider a female bass player.

Either way I've heard a lot of stuff before about she's the best female x player...

Playing is playing.

SkinCoffin, D.M.N. and Fergie Fulton like this.
  7. MGR

MGR Banned

Jan 18, 2015
    Bronx, NY
    LOL. And the funny thing is that I've seen these same ads sometimes for years on NYC craigslist. You'd think they would try changing it up a little and accept a dreaded man in their group!

8. RoadRanger

RoadRanger Supporting Member

Feb 18, 2004
    NE CT
    I disagree - but an honest conversation as to why really isn't "PG" so can't be had here. Suffice it to say that sexuality is an important part of music. Generally "separate but equal" rules. I'd rather see female performers myself as that's how I'm hardwired :woot: and don't much care for the shirtless male ones :sleep: but hey, no prob if that's what you're into ;) . I love Carol Kay's bass lines :cool: as well as most of the old session players. OTOH if could only own ten albums David Bowie and Queen would surely make the cut :thumbsup:.

Speaking of CL ads I've been searching for a Country gig for years and one came up last year where the singer posted that you must be OK with the occasional gay club gig as he was. Heck, if that hadn't been too far away I'd have at least checked it out. Heck, I live in a small rural city with two live theaters, two art galleries, and a bunch of antique shops - and moved here on purpose to get away from the rednecks :D.

9. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    I played in a lesbian band (or more accurately a band led by 2 lesbians) for about 2 years, and played a handful of lesbian bars. Wasn't what most might think that to be. Been in gay bars for a variety of reasons, and some of those WERE what I expected them to be. I don't know how comfortable I'd be playing some of those places.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.
  10. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

Dear lord:
    Descriptive illustrative words of all kinds are becoming "offensive" to the vocal minority.

I'm offended by being called Tall, American, Old, Grumpy, Obstinate, White, German, Belgian, Dutch, Irish, Scottish, Male, Loud, Handsome, Straight, Fat, Tired, Unemployed, Geek, ------- this @#$%&*( just needs to stop.

11. /\/\3phist0

:) i have similar experiences. (side effect of being in LA, and SF frequently)

pacojas likes this.
  12. /\/\3phist0

the author is a TB member FWIW...

Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  13. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    WÖW!!! is "this" really an issue, people?!. :(

Mantis Tobaggan likes this.
  14. BigDanT

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I'd imagine it is more of an issue if you are a woman.

basslayer, Marial, Lia_G and 3 others like this.
  15. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2009
    Northern Va.
    I have no problem with that kind of stuff.. Bands want what they want and if I saw an advertisement that said they wanted a white bass player between 20 and 30 I would not be offended at all.. I think we talke some of this stuff too far.. I think that due to the nature of sex in our marketing there should be no problem if a band specifies they want a female musician .. or not... as long as that is the case there will always be "female bassists". It is all about the image the band wants to project. It is not the same as say.. the "black quarterback".

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  16. So how do they want us to address them....."it"? Instead of him or her?

17. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    "Except for those who play with a pick."

:laugh:

18. Oldschool94

Oldschool94

Jan 9, 2015
    I think the issue with the term is when it is used as a pejorative...............................

19. BigDanT

Aug 26, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It's not a matter of addressing someone's characteristics. It's a matter of defining their skills by those characteristics.

the bat, Veldar, SkinCoffin and 9 others like this.