The end strap button is getting loose

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by mrbaloo, Oct 8, 2002.

1. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002

(I don't know if this is the right forum, but...)

I replaced the original end strap buttons mounted on my bass with buttons from a Schaller Security Lock set. Things to notice was that the new screws were a little bit smaller in diameter. The "bottom" end button is getting loose every now and then. How will I prevent this from happening? Is it advicable to put some small pieces of wood in the screw-hole and then mount the button back?

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

In the short-term - Yes!

But the strap locks will probably unscrew it again - graphite dust that is sold in hardware stores is good as a lubricant on the strap lock buttons to stop them twisting off the buttons again.
  3. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Ok, a lubricant! I would never have guessed that it's all about tribology...

Someway the button mounted up on the horn still is staying in position, but I think it's less loaded.

4. bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    You may have to use a larger, screw, or make the hole smaller if the lube doesn't solve the problem.
  5. Here is what I've done to solve this same problem.
    Remove the straplock screw from your bass.
    Dip some toothpicks in wood glue, insert them in the hole, then cut them off flush with the bass.
    re-install screw before glue sets up. This method has held up for over five years with no sign of loosening.:)
  6. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Ok. I think I'll go with this permanent-repair-trick! Thanks!

7. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I've done the tooth pick method too. It's still holding after 8 years.
  8. I had a similar problem. I glued in a piece of maple roundstock, let that dry and then redrilled the hole.

It's better than tooth pics I think.
  9. My bass is in the shop for the same thing, I really did not want to mess it up so I let them do it. They are either going to use a bigger screw, or refill the hole, and drill the hole again.