Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the endless search for overdrive/distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by shaolinwhat, Jun 12, 2005.

1. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    so i have gone through a lot of different pedals in the last couple years, including several overdrives. for the last year ive been using the boss odb-3 simply for the fact that it was somewhat cheap and boss pedals are soldiers when it comes to touring. i run a cij p-bass through sansamp rbi with the drive pretty cranked, and i love that thick tone, but sometimes id like to kick it up yet another notch. anyway, what do you think would be a good thick (not buzzsaw like the odb-3) overdrive to compliment the gear i use, and that will hold up on the road?

2. Soulfinger

Soulfinger

Sep 20, 2004
    Houston, TX
    "Thick" definitly describes the MXR M-80. I can't say enough good things about it--very functional design, and very flexible. It has one of the best noise gates I've ever heard--you can't even tell it has a noise gate, which is how you want it. And to top it off, it's built like a brick.

3. JPrisus

JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Fulltone Bass Drive

4. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    i have yet to hear a bad thing about this pedal. im just really not sure how to get my hands on one to try it out

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Thick? Zvex Wooly Mammoth

Pricey though, tried one, don't own so I don't know how sturdy it is. Still, Mike Watt uses one, so it's got to be worth something.

6. loendmaestro

loendmaestro

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    +1
    Best pedal I have ever purchased.

7. you might just wana try turning the gain to around nill. i find that it makes a burpy sorta tone. of course i run my gain to about 5 because it's not too sloppy and it's still brutal :spit:

8. ingo62

ingo62

Mar 15, 2005
    Emden, Germany
  9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Well I've tried loads myself recently, I've found that I really really liked the

Fulltone Bass Driver
    MXR Bass DI with distortion
    Tech 21 XXL Bass (This is cool as well cos its purple)

I tried the Moolon bass Drive and found it to be really really bad it was ok but nothing special and it didn't ooze tone you know for it extremely high price tag

The MXR Zakk Wylde is very good as well and so is the DOD 250 preamp/od but they do loose a bit of bottom end.

The three I mention seem to be the best, I currently have 8 distortions/od/fuzzs on my board and am trying to justify the xxl bass because it was sooo cool.

Hope this helps

10. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    That's disappointing. :( I was really excited about that pedal too. I almost bought it without even hearing it, as I don't have any Moollon dealers around here. Thanks for the heads up. :)

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Yeah I know its so shiny I wanted it just for the casing but it again is basically a tubescreamer clone but no where near as good as the fulltone bass driver.

Sounded like a ripped speaker, but yeah in the middle its ok get that rage sorta tone but only about as close as the dod 250 does and then other settings its just not heavy enough or light enough if that makes sense just doesn't have a lot of range.

The Tech 21 XXL is much better

Hope this helps

12. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    Sure does. Thanks! :)

I gotta try the Fulltone someday. I know I'm looking for a TS clone -- any other recommendations?

13. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    erm yeah the fulltone, the fulltone and then finally the fulltone.

also try the Tech 21 xxl bass