The entitlement generation hits close to my musical home

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Tired_Thumb, Jan 10, 2006.

1. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Recently, I'm surfing ads and find this one for a guitarist available online:

ok no more bull****. no more lazy musicians or wanna-be rockstars, im not emo, im not punk, im not ska, i cant really handle leads, i cant sing, i can play with feeling, i can pour my heart and soul, all my pain and frustration into a song, in june, i lost someone very dear to me, a very close friend, someone who made the world a better place just by living in it, now shes gone, its been a long time since i left the house for more than a few hours at a time. im not looking for a band that plays in a garage or basement only to break up because someone goes off to school. im looking for brothers/sisters, friends, family, a group of people determined, serious, creative, open minded. im looking for a heavy, pounding, agressive band. where pain and sorrow are the things of which a masterpeice of music is made. i miss her, and i want to remember her the way she would want me to and thats not sitting on my a** waiting for something to come my way. i have had it with highschool drama, with arguments over little things and life choices. ive lost alot of friends since that day be it death, or fights, or just drifting apart. all i want to do anymore is write music and play live. if you cant offer me something that will not be playing shows by spring/summer dont bother

Turns out, this 23 year old kid was the one collaborating on a new band with me over this past summer. The people I managed to pull together, while everyone else complained that it wasn't going anywhere, ended up having the worst chemistry in the world, had little skill, immediately wanted to get into the most expensive downtown rehearsal studio, wanted to get the most expensive mastering for our potential demo, pretty much wanted to mount the roof before building the foundation. Meanwhile, school starts for me, I know this isn't going to work, so I ditch the band and am going to try again later fitting in a band with a greater emphasis on the music and a serious reality check, and by all means I work hard on my bass playing and musicianship.

Then I see that post, and I want to smack him. For what I gathered from him, he's still living with his parents, working a day a week on a loading dock, and is waiting for the dream to land on his steps instead of actively persuing it (despite what he says), and it strikes me how entitled some people think they are, including those who were in my makeshift band, and I know losing ones you care about can be difficult, but why make it your lifelong obsession?

I don't know, am I just too critical of people? :help:
  2. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    He sounds pretty angsty for a 23 year old. :meh:
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA

Yeah, reminds me of something Robert Smith of the Cure said. "Teens don't know anything about angst and depression. Wait till you get in your 40's, that's when it really hits."

I hate 21 year olds that try to talk like they've been through it all. They don't know crap.
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Yeah, not like you 25 year olds. ;) :D
  5. Yeah, sounds like the kind of guy that just wants to be handed a good situation on a silver platter. If he's that critical of other people, why doesn't he start his own band? Oh wait, he's probably too lazy to put any actual work into it.
  6. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
  7. didier

Aug 4, 2005
    he's a guitar player...
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Lemme guess, this kid went to Stagg HS? :D
  9. Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    That right there explains a lot... :meh:
  10. Tired_Thumb

Tired_Thumb Guest

Sanburg, if you know the district. Not much better, ;)
  11. Honestly, I did know a lead guitar player very similar to the guy described in the original post. He'd try and show his "emotional side" talking about his estranged relationship with his parents and junk like that. Half the time we didn't know if he was making stuff up, because his story seemed like it would change a lot...couldn't hold down a job either. Heard stories about him repeatedly showing up late, and being lazy on the job, etc.

He was also a totally selfish guitar player, always jacking up the volume on his amp, and not really playing "with" the rest of the band. He, too, seemed like he had a sense of self-entitlement. He was setting up one time with our rhythm player, who casually mentioned he'd bought some new strings, that he had in his briefcase he carries gear in. The other guy says "Oh, thanks" and took a couple packs of strings! Our rhythm guitarist actually had to steal the strings back.

Surprisingly, the lead guitarist didn't last too long with us. :rolleyes:
  12. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    That is so.... Emo....
  13. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Anything prefaced with "I'm not emo, but..." is generally emo as a rule.
  14. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

That is so cool. It would make a great signature. :hyper:
  15. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    " I can't play lead, I can't sing" so he wants to play rhythm is someone elses successful band? I can do that.
    He's got issues, he needs a shrink not a band. Maybe some medication.

Frankly I did not know what "Emo" was till I looked it up, maybe he should.