Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

the essential 5 string?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xcental34x, Feb 7, 2005.

1. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Since cutting back my bass collection, I've also decided to pick up a good 5 string, as my last bass purchase.I prefer Fender styled 5 strings (ie: w/ pickguard). So what would you consider the standard for 5 string basses? Stingray 5. Roscoe Beck, Lakland 55-02, MIA Jazz V have all crossed my mine. Just not 100 percent committed yet.

~Patrick

2. I know the Ray 5 is wicked sexy... I cant say its the standard though.

3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

What about a Lakland Skyline Darryl Jones w/J-retro preamp?

That's what I've ordered. :D :D :bassist:

4. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Excellent choice.....especially the J-Retro!!

I am partial to the Roscoe Beck though. Not that anything is wrong with the other choices out there. I had a chance to sit down with an RB5 just a few days ago, and it sounded beautiful even through my untalented hands.

-Mike

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    DJ5 WITHOUT the J Retro preamp. Don't get me wrong, I think the retros are just about the best preamps out there. However, the Aero pickups used in the DJ were designed specifically to be used passive. They have a HUGE bottom end with major punch and a nice high end.

6. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Any of them, except for the Jazz Bass 5 (awful B string!). I own a Ray 5, but have to admit it doesn't fit in every kind of music. Good luck!

ANDRUCA

7. I guess this question kinda fits in this thread:
    Does anyone here know of any 6-strings of the same kind? (fender-ish - preferrably p-bass - looks /w pickguard)

8. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Australia
    You could try a Warmoth deluxe 5. I have been LOVING the Fender jazz 5 shape lately... odd since I never liked them at all once upon a time. Recently I have fallen in love with a Fender deluxe 5 in sunburst at a local guitar shop. It is sooooooooo good for a fender, well, the ones I have played. It's brand spaking new too. And since I am rather adept at setting my current up basses to my liking and have tonnes of people with loads of experience at hand who can help me if I go astray, I'm going to make a Warmoth version. It is going to be my ultimate and perhaps essential 5 string. It will be an almost totally customised jazz to my specs, totally personalised. Sorry to digress there. Apart from that, Laklands friggin rule. I have only played a skyline once, unamplified, for 20 minutes, and I was blown away. Didn't quite feel as good as what I like and am used to, but I would get once instantly if I wasn't venturing into the bass building side, and eventually maybe building from scratch. There I go again. Sorry about that.

9. Id go with the Stingray, I owned a OLP mm3 and its string spacing is the same as the Stingray 5strings. Its so confortable to play, specially fingerstyle. Maybe youll find slap a little hard but youll get used to it.

I know its the less versatile of them, and if you need it do be that way, just go for the Lackland. I think the american Fender is ages fram from those in terms of quality.

So... Stingray!

10. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I didn't see these on your list but I would also recomend you try Sadowsky Metro and the KSD J. they are on the higher and lower end costwise.

11. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I play an american deluxe fender Jazz V. Two weeks ago I decided I was ready for something new. I played every 5 string I could find for under a grand, and in that price range, I found nothing could come close to my fender. But, that being said, I also played some other american fenders that day that were awful. So, IMO a good fender will beat everything in it's price range, but watch out for the bad ones.

Second place would be the DJ5. If I find a nice one I'm gonna grab it.

12. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

My choice is the Fender RB5: has a nice array of passive Fender tones. It pretty much nails the J sound, and has a lot of P-ness ;) with the neck pup soloed in series mode. I also love the playability.

The RB5 doesn't look like either a P or a J (it's sort of in between), but that doesn't matter to me.

13. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Wrong - the string spacing on the OLP is much narrower than that of the Stingray 5. I have both sitting right in front of me as I type this, not even close!

14. Correction: MOST Fender Jazz 5's, IME (yes, AWFUL B string)- there are good ones out there, though. Maybe 1 in 10 or 12.